• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, annother boot problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent_Mull

OK, my xp wont boot b/c the file hal.dll is corrupted, so i got out my trusty (german) knoppix cd and got a new file from my other computer. I tried copying/deleteing/moving the old file and it says it cant. Why? Windows isnt running. Any ideas.

Linux can't write to NTFS, some distros will have drivers for it, but do not support it or suggest it, it can easily corrupt your NTFS partition.

You can do a repair install with the XP CD. I am pretty sure that will fix it, but not 100% sure. It is worth a try. I don't think there is any other option, ulsess a full install.

NM. I feel stupid now.
I was doing stuff in msconfig and i think i accidentally made it so that it boots to my "second installation."

My installation was screwed up before, so I installed it to what i thought was the C:/ partition, but it acctually installed to the d:\ partition. So i just deleted the d:\ partition installation and set it to automatically boot to the c:\ one and set the time out to 3 seconds. hope that isnt too confusing.

Back