• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobile barton 2400/8rda+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imaboutaquit

wow i guess I havent been paying attention lately. I had no idea that the mobile processors were being used in desktops. Anyway, I was considering a barton 2500 desktop until I saw all the mobile threads. Now I am curios if the 2400 mobile barton will work with my motherboard without any chip or socket mods. I am currently running a 2100+ desktop chip @ 11/195 for 2145mhz. This is as high as my ram will go as it is only pc2700 crucial. Would the upgrade be worth the 77 dollars you think? And secondly, will the motherboard recognize and boot up with the mobile chip. Thanks for the help

In addition to my questions, is Power Now! enabled on the chip if it is in a desktop? That would work very nice for cooling

I was using an 8RDA3+ before this motherboard... it ran just fine, no mods needed...

But no, power now does not enable in desktop computers... because it is used in laptops, these chips are unlocked, these chips run at lower voltages though, so any cooling solution becomes even better.

thanks for the help. In your, or anyone else out there, opinion, will the upgrade be worth it. I mainly use this pc for gaming.

It will run fine in your board without any mods, but you will only have access upto x12.5 multiplier, to get over that you will have to do a wire trick, which is actually pretty simple to do.
On the powernow! question, technically, powernow is still enabled, but as the nForce2 chipset doesn't support it, you will not be able to change multipliers from windows via software, but as the chip is unlocked you still have the BIOS to play around with multipliers.
any mobile chip default multi is x6, so if you get a mobile barton, don't freak out when you see 100x6 (or whatever you set your FSB to) when you first turn on the system.

sweet, thanks for the help-onto newegg!

assuming the chip will do 2437mhz, anyone know what that will register as a pr rating?

Last edited:
The 2400+ has a default multiplier of 15.

8RDA+ posts all multipliers only on chips whose default multiplier is in the high range (13 and up)

You won't be able to post high range multis on 2500+ for example on 8RDA+ becasue 2500+ has a default multiplier of 11.

Only Abit, Soltek and now DFI nForce2s can post all multipliers on all unlocked CPUs.

we will find out for sure soon. I ordered a 2400+ mobile tonight, should be here i guess mon or tues. Even if I only get to 12.5 multi, as long as i can still get my 195 bus I think the processor will be maxed with the air cooling I have so I should be good to go. Too late anyway, already ordered.

just for grins, i just tried 22x multi by 100 bus with my current unlocked 2100+(non mobile) and it booted fine as a 2100+. I normally run the multi at 11 X195. Stock multi is 10.5 so now I am really confused. Wouldnt this processor be considered a low multi processor, in which case i shouldnt have access to the higher multis? Like I said, ill find out for sure somewhere around tuesday.

imaboutaquit said:
2100+ Wouldnt this processor be considered a low multi processor, in which case i shouldnt have access to the higher multis?

2100+ has a multiplier of 13.

That's high range, 13 and up is high range, list of all multipliers, right column of this table:
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

8RDA+ posts all multipliers on the 2100+, 2200+, 2400+ and 3000+ Barton.

Also 2600+ T-Bred B only since it's 16 x 133
(but not 2600+ Barton, since Barton is 11.5 x 166).

sorry, im an idiot, was thinking the chip was a 333 bus, actually it is a 266. I never ran it stock so i forgot what the h*** I had!!!

c627627 said:
The 2400+ has a default multiplier of 15.

8RDA+ posts all multipliers only on chips whose default multiplier is in the high range (13 and up)

You won't be able to post high range multis on 2500+ for example on 8RDA+ becasue 2500+ has a default multiplier of 11.

Only Abit, Soltek and now DFI nForce2s can post all multipliers on all unlocked CPUs.

These chips have no direct correlation with desktop chips, the mobiles use the following mutipliers when Power now is giving it 100% open throttle @ 266 FSB

2400+ 13.5x = 1.80 GHz
2500+ 14x = 1.866 GHz
2600+ 15x = 2.0 GHz

You have to realize though, they're considered in the lower range because on most mobos they default to 6x (sometimes 11x/11.5x I've seen) at boot up... so the special few motherboards that allow all multis are the only answer aside from the wire trick.

I asked this in another thread and it's important to me because I too have an 8RDA+ and am thinking of getting a mobile:

Unlike with the desktop 2400+, you need the wire trick on 2400+ mobile if you have the Epox nForce2, in fact you need the wire trick for all mobile CPUs unless you own Abit, Soltek or DFI nForce2 boards..

Back