• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrZ

Registered
Hi guys, I'm building a new system and I need you help.

I've been deciding on A64 vs P4E for past couple weeks, and I could not make a conclusion due to variouss reasons, so I jumped on 2500+ Barton Mobile bandwagon!!!

I have build systems before, BUT never AMD system. Mobile Barton seemed like awesome system for the price. It is going to save me about $200 over the A64 and/or P4E, so that was the reason I decided to go AMD.

I am going to OVERCLOCK the CPU, so consider that!!!

System: NEWEGG.com "wish list"

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=656087

CLICK ON THE LINK FOR FULL INFO:

(summary below)

-2500+ Barton Mobile
-ABIT NF7-S v2.0
-512 Mushkin PC3200 "222 special" (2x256 for dual-channel)
-Aspire Turbo Case (comes with 6 fans)
-Aspire 500W (comes with the case)
-Sapphire ati 9800pro 128mb
-Western Digital 120GB
-Vantec AeroFlow VA4-C7040
(click on above link for ALL detailed INFO)

already have
Pioneer A06 4x DVD +/- R/RW
Lite-On 52 CD-R/RW
WD 40GB (7200rpm, 8mb)
+accessories

I'm totally locked on CPU+MOBO

but let me know if I should go towards other parts!!!

(thanx guys)

:)

first off Welcome To The Forum

everything looks good only thing id change is the heatsink, id look at a thermalright they make the best. and will help cool it down for a higher oc

Good luck on the system

that SLK-947 will not work it says on there site will fit NF7-S 1.2 and in remarks *NF7-S (REV 2.0) wil not fit

i got a SLK-900A and my temps are 37'c to 43'c

im not sure about the water cooling still learning. so im not sure how good that kit is or if you need more to the kit

dead_man311 said:
that SLK-947 will not work it says on there site will fit NF7-S 1.2 and in remarks *NF7-S (REV 2.0) wil not fit

can you link where it says that !!!

Why only 512MB RAM? Seems like for just a little more money per stick you could drop 1GB in it.

StaticXD00d said:
Why only 512MB RAM? Seems like for just a little more money per stick you could drop 1GB in it.

-it's easier to overclock with less memory, because on bigger sticks you have more chipsets on RAM, which would translate into more errors

-plus, what do you mean "for just little more money"...
(this is not some "value GEIL", this a "222 special", meaning they are BH-6 chips, designed for 2-2-2-x freaks like me)

IT WOULD BE TWICE AS MUCH $$$

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-288&depa=1

The slk 947-U works fine on the nf7-s version 2. I am using both :p However, you may need to barely bend two of the capacitors next to the HS. I've read a few long posts a while back on this topic and most had to bend the capacitors very slightly, but it's no biggie.

I'm not too familiar with that PSU, if I were you I'd order a brand name PSU, its a very important component when trying to get the max out of your CPU. Something like an Antec True 400+W or a Fotron 400+W will do you a lot of good

MrZ said:

-it's easier to overclock with less memory, because on bigger sticks you have more chipsets on RAM, which would translate into more errors

-plus, what do you mean "for just little more money"...
(this is not some "value GEIL", this a "222 special", meaning they are BH-6 chips, designed for 2-2-2-x freaks like me)

IT WOULD BE TWICE AS MUCH $$$

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-288&depa=1

Ah, gotcha. Cool.

The Coolest said:
I'm not too familiar with that PSU, if I were you I'd order a brand name PSU, its a very important component when trying to get the max out of your CPU. Something like an Antec True 400+W or a Fotron 400+W will do you a lot of good

-that geek dude (Rodney Reynolds) from 3DGAMEMAN.com did a review on it, and he loved it. The specs were not off, and rails are pretty good. (video review below)

-he also ran his OVERCLOCKED P4 2.6 @ 3.4ghz (1.7v), and bunch of other crap. It worked fine.

VIDEO REVIEW- click here

There's only one thing I would definatly change and that's the heatsink. go with a ThermalRight, ALX-800 -> SLK900 -> SLK947 -> SP97 (going from worst to best) they all will be better than the HS u chose, you'll need a fan to go with the thermalright, the good thing is you can choose whatever fan u like, low/high noise.

The other thing IMHO, is the HD, I know many people don't have any problems with WD, but my personal expirience with their drives has been awefull, I've had like 5 of them and each and every one of them is either dead, or on the path to the grave.
I'm using a maxtor drive for the past 1.5 years and its been running like a champ. I also have a 4+ year old 10GB Quantum drive (Maxtor bought quantum). and it still runs like a champ.

Back