• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700 or 1800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChiefScout

Ok, I'm going to be building a new rig for myself over the next few months. System will pretty much include DFI mobo, FX5700 Ultra, OCZ PC3700 Gold Dual Channel Ram, 36GB 10,000k HDD, watercooling, pelt cooling the works. Anyay I can't decide whether to put a 1700 or 1800 in the system. Both chips should produce steller results if I get the right steppings right? I've heard that both can hit 2.4, 2.5 on air. I'll be using a watercooled pelt with water that is nearly freezing. I'm bidding on a 1700 JIUHB, DLT3C, 0310XPMW.....I think i'll buy. What do you think, should I go for an 1800 too? thanks for all the help,
Chief

Yay-uh! First Post!

(haha took me forver to figure out the no hotmail thing)

If you're spending that much on a system... mobile barton will be far and above a better processor... and for maybe $10-30 more.... no sense in a T-bred.

BTW Welcome to the forums!

Yeah, you'll get the same results or better with a mobile barton. You're better off going that route.

Why a 5700?? :confused:

Ok I want to go with a T-Bred because I like them a lot. Also I want a processor in which I know that I can have total control over the multi's. I've heard that you cant unlock some mobile bartons. correct me if I am wrong.

and the 5700 Ultra? well......with DDRII memory clocked at 950mhz....I really wanna see where I can go with watercooled pelted memory, same with core. You know they make little
15mm x 15mm pelts. I dont really care how much it performs, I just wanna see where I can take the memory. Also I won't be spending bout that much on the system.....1000-1200. No room for a 5950 Ultra.

You could spend like the same for a 5900XT/SE. They're much better than the 5700 due to the 256bit DDR memory bus as opposed to the 128bit on the 5700U. Also, for ~$30 more, you can get a 9800 Pro...;)

Mobile Bartons are all unlocked and overclock far better than just about every T-Bred.

I'd also have to agree that a 9800 Pro is a much better choice than any nVidia card.

It is the regular Bartons that have the locked multipliers. The Mobiles have always been unlocked. The Mobile 2500s and 2400s are proving to be very competent overclockers.

Here is a big thread with the stepping and results of mobile bartons.

Gautam said:
Mobile Bartons are all unlocked and overclock far better than just about every T-Bred.

I'd also have to agree that a 9800 Pro is a much better choice than any nVidia card.

I’d like to subscribe to your news letter, where can I sign-up?

By the way, what DFI board are you going for?

Ok the mobile bartons may be cool....but perhaps I DONT WANT TO OVERCLOCK A BARTON. If I wanted to do that I would have asked which mobile barton to oc. Now please can I get some info on some 1700 1800's. Like I said i'm buying one of the best steppings for a 1700, but should I get an 1800 too and see what hit can hit?

And as to my choice of video card? Why not, no ATI card has DDRII memory....and like I said...I REALLY WANT TO TAKE THE MEMORY ABOVE LIMITS. I'm going to be pelt cooling each single memory chip, so I just wanna push it to the limits...dont think I'd be able to do that with regular ddr memory. Plus DDRII memory uses a heluva lot less voltage to match same speeds as DDR....so i can feed it a ton of voltage. Also there are some kick *** third party Nvida drivers out there. And as to the 9800pro beating out ANY Nvidia card......what are you on smack? check out some benchmarks in some sites.

AND the 5700 Ultra I wanna get beat a 9600XT in MaximumPC due to the DDRII memory. and it HAD 256 memory.

The board I'll be using is the DFI Lan Partry Ultra Infinity B. I want this board due to the guarnteed high FSB's. AND yes I do know they have cold boot problems...but you know, I dont mind.

Thanks,
Chief

Well similar stepping 1800s and 1700s usually clock the same. I have seen some rare 1800s that will do 2.5 GHz at 1.7 Vcore. Some of the JIXIB week 30-32 and JIUHB (don't know the week) DLT3Cs will do it. Like I said it's hard finding those chips.

We were just recommending the mobile 2500s and 2400s because they usually clock high than the T-breds, and they don't cost much more. They aren't any more hassle or anything than the T-breds if that is what you are thinking.

If you realy want high clock speeds with less performance, why not get a P4 instead? You can hit 3.6ghz easy, more than any amd cpu. Even though it isnt as fast, you just want clock speed right? When we say that the 5900 has 256bit ram, that means its twice as fast per mhz as the 5700's, so you would have to have 1800mhz ram to match the 5900 running at 900mhz. Also, why not a mobile barton? Do you have something against them? Sorry if I sound rude.

Back