• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP Maximum ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
I was of the opinion that WinXP pro could use 4 gb og RAM however I have a system which has 2gb of ram and yet only see's 1.5 gb. there are two sticks of 512mb and one stick of 1 gb

Anyone know what the situation is, what the problem may be ?..... anyone else running this amount of memory or more without problems ?

UnseenMenace, I wonder if it might be a limitation on your motherboard? I've heard that XP has a 3 or 4 gig limit myself so I wonder if that is that case.

i too, think its your mobo... is it possible that it is trying to run the 1024 as 512 for some reason?

Windows XP Home: 4 Gigabytes
Windows XP Professional: 4 Gigabytes

Durring post do you get a memory count ?

The main board my be the Limiting factor. Or you might want to install each ram moduel alone and be sure windows is seeing it for what it is.

I know the the 845 chipsets have a limitation on the type of ram that is put in the MB. Even though you have 3 ram slots, you can only use 2 dual bank dimms. slot one uses its own 2nd bank, but slots 2 and 3 SHARE thier 2nd bank....

Check that stats on your MB

test your 1Gb Ram chip, and see if you have 1 Gb Ram, your mobo might not see it as a Gb, but as a 512Mb, since that could be the maximum size it allows, I had a problem like this on a P2 233, I dropped 2 256Mb chips in it but it read as 256Mb ram each slot could only handle 128Mb ram,

Back