• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screw Pump - You know you want it!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, now details:
Cost
Flow rate
head pressure
motor requirements.
:)

That looks like one of those oil viscosity displays at chain auto parts stores.......;)

lol. It's a pump that use two screws to pump fluid instead of using an impellor. A rotary positive displacement pump where the flow is axial. Wide ranges of flow and pressure with little work or energy used which makes it more efficient than a impellor design. Not to forget that the driving force can be seperate from the pump housing keeping the heat from the motor from transfering to the water.

The bad points are that it's sensitive to vescosity changes, the need for tight tolerances, and if high pressure is needed the screws need to be longer. Which I doubt those points we need to worry about to much for our use. Cool thing about it is if you can get nice tight tolerances then the pressure would be even better. Though it's already better than an open impellor design.

Last edited:
arent these referred to as "worm drive" pumps? they are capable of lotsa torque and pressure.

And if you attach a handy ratchet to it, you can make sure you cooling system works even during blackout.
Just keep it a-turnin'

Not going to be cheap.

I've had my hands on pumps of this type capable of 500gpm @ 5000psi.

My dream pump would be positive displacement, quiet, and cheap. But you will never see those three things together in a product description for a PD pump. *sigh*

/me raises hand. What's a postivie displacement pump?

Anyway, that Roots-type water pump is cool.

Now, is Cathar serious? I like it.

Voodoo Rufus said:
/me raises hand. What's a positive displacement pump?

Anyway, that Roots-type water pump is cool.

Now, is Cathar serious? I like it.

Looks like a roots blower, kinda the same principle, but not quite.

Positive displacement pumps will pump the same volume regardless of back pressure. Their P/Q graph is linear instead of curved since flow rate is directly proportional to rotational speed. I.E. halve the pump speed, halve the flow rate.

They will not be cheap because of the tight tolerances required to keep the fluid from squirting out around the rotors. I have a feeling the pic Cathar posted is a non functional mock up.

Silent Buddha said:
How much do these babies cost? I hope I won't have to like sell a kidney or anything for one.

The cheapest new mad drive PD pump I've found was ~$500.

hmm for 500 bucks i think I could get a seriously mad pump. AC of course, but we use some bada## pumps @ the aquarium shop 1 Iwaki pump working over 3000 gallons of water...loud as all get out, but it look like the pressure you see from a fire truck!

You're missing the beauty of a PD pump. In reality, centrifugal pumps are horrible for what we are using them for. The only reason we use them is because they are cheap and PD pumps are spendy.

With a PD pump, pump input power = pump output power. That means significantly less pump heat for any given head/flow point compared to a centrifugal pump.

You can do whatever the hell you want to the loop restriction wise because the same volume will be pumped regardless of back pressure. Imagine the potential. Everything could be engineered for absolute maximum performance without fear of destroying flow rate. True, more energy will be expended at that volume compared to a less restrictive loop, but the gains out weigh the losses.

walkerIV said:
And if you attach a handy ratchet to it, you can make sure you cooling system works even during blackout.
Just keep it a-turnin'

If you do this the motor will work as a generator, so you can actually run your whole computer from it. This is the best idea for a UPS I've ever seen!!! :p

Sounds interesting, a problem would be the motor required to drive it though? Could be noisy... Also for continuous use, would attaching a motor to that be a good idea?

Pardon me while i steal the thread for a second.
I promise it'll be back to pump subject momentarily.

The peltier element produces current if it is subject to temperature gradient. Does anyone know what the strength of the current is.
Would it be enough to drive an electrical motor attached to such a pump?

So the peltier would drive the pump using the termal energy from cpu.
It's sorta late here and chances are that this doesn't make sense.

Back