• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low 2500+ Overclocking results?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x86Overclocker0

I have a barton 2500 running at 2196 Mhz (11.5 x 191) and 1.725 vcore, with 256 mb pc 2100 ram (which isn't running on a 1:1 ratio with fsb, its less than 133 mhz) and i am cooling my system with a thermaltake Silent Boost HSF, a dual fan 365 Watt psu, a vantec stealth case fan in the back, and a vantec stealth attached above my fx5200 card for cooling. My motherboard is a soltek 75frn2-l. My system is semi-stable, windows is fine, but playing a 3d game will occasionaly crash the system. This seems like a small overclock for this cpu, most people are getting more. Is this normal for my setup? The temps are 53C for ABS2, 42C for CPU external, and 24C for system. After i installed the silent boost, i only got a few degrees lower temp than with my stock hsf. My memory timings are very crappy, its generic ram.

My psu is 360 watts. I don't know if they make it anymore, but i got it about a year ago. I'm pretty sure the psu isn't the problem, because i can get about 2230 mhz with 1.8 vcore and only have minor stability issues. I think i will add some case fans to get my temps down, but i still think i should be able to go higher before i add them.

How many devices are you running off of that PS? I think I agree w/ everybody else who said it: check your power supply.

Your CPU should be fine at 1.8, so long as you have adequate cooling.

- I bet you don't have a mobile barton. You are getting average desktop barton overclocking results.

- Check your case cooling by taking off the side panel. If the temps drop then you need better case cooling.

- I bet your psu is fine.

- If you really want results you will need a better heatsink, a mobile barton or both. Your cheapest solution would be to sell off your barton and get a mobile.

- Run prime95 to test for stability. It's either stable or its not. If upping vcore doesn't solve instability then its a cooling issue. If your temps get much higher than 50C then prime will probably produce errors.

Back