• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2800+ issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Permanoob

A few weeks back I got my 2800+ up and running at an even 2.5ghz and it's been running as well as could be expected. A couple of things have cropped up since then. After overclocking, I've been running at about 34c idle and 43c running Toast for 8 hours.

The last couple of days I've been noticing that when I try to install something I keep getting errors that this file and that file were corrupt or couldn't be read. Then when I restart that same file works like a champ. Also, I checked my cpu temps last night and I'm now running at 42c idle and I didn't bother checking my load temps (I didn't want to cry).

Any ideas what might be causing all of this? I've backed off my OC to 2.4ghz and I still seem to be getting the same results. I haven't even opened the case since I got the first OC stable, and the case hasn't moved an inch so I haven't bothered to check to see if possibly the heatsink has been displaced. Guess I'll do that when I get home.

Any suggestions would be very good... I love my 2.5ghz and would love to keep it.

its probly ocing your PCI, and thus messing up yuor system.

i think there is somthing like pci/agp port lock

i know im not much help but im still trying to learn this are. maybe yuor problem will help me learn to

I’m not going to be much help with the file errors, but I am interested to see the problem resolved.

However for the temps, what type and how many fans are you running? Going to need more into on your cooling before anyone can really give you much of an answer there, however here are some things to keep in mind.

1. It’s starting to warm up across the country so it’s possible these rising temps your seeing are simply the same rise most people are starting to see. Remember your at the mercy of the temps outside your case if your only using air to cool your rig.

2. Have you cracked open your case lately to check and make sure all your fan(s) is running right or running at the proper speed?

3. Again have you checked inside your case to make sure you don’t have a ton of dust inside? It can be surprising the difference in temp between a clean case Vs. dirty case, even a slightly dusty one can start to see slight drops in temp.

With the warming up bit, it's been 30 degrees warmer here the last week than it has the last 3 months. But I do have central air and the room temperature and humidity is the same as it was when I first set everything up.

I have not checked all of my fans, no. I've checked the ones that I can see without opening or moving my case. My fan setup is I have 2 80mm fans pulling air in through the front bottom of the case, one 80mm on the side pulling air in and a 100mm pushing air out the back. Been wanting to pick up a 90mm and drill holes on the top to pull air out the top as well.

I'm a dusty person and I clean my case thoroughly once a month. Maybe I'll do that when I get home and see what I find. With some of the new air filters I've put in I don't think I'll have a whole lot of dust in there.

Well I've checked everything out. I assume my motherboard automatically keeps the PCI bus locked because I can't find a setting for it. I tried relaxing the timing on my ram but ANY changes I make to my ram other than frequency (200mhz and below is fine) the computer will not boot until I clear CMOS.

Case is nice and clean. The air filters I installed are working like a champ. My temps seem back to normal but I still seem to be getting those file corruptions. I updated my nForce drivers, although I don't think that has a thing to do with it.

My temps seem to be ok for some reason.. running 36c on idle and 46c on load. But I'm still stuck with these file corruptions and it's getting very very annoying.

Any other suggestions???

I agree. Looks like a RAM errors. The heat may also be causing the RAM errors.
I had a great overclock at 2670 mhz with my mobile 2600+ using RAM and CPU at 205 mhz. Like you, I started to get errors. Lowered my RAM speed at relaxed the timings and all is well. Now Using 6/5 instead of 6/6
This is expecialy true if you are using 2 sticks of RAM.

After having done this I upped the multiplier and lowered the FSB and I am now very stable at 2685 mgz. I will now try for 2700..

RAM RAM RAM

Yah I ran memtest and it threw an error at me every cycle. It's a single stick of 512. I tried relaxing the timing a bit AND I dropped my OC down to stock speeds with the same results. I've got an RMA request sent. Looks like I'll be using the wife's computer for a couple of weeks *bleh*

Thanks for the help guys

Back