• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which memory for moderately overclocked 2.4c?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scryber

Registered
I'm getting parts together for a new computer, the main parts of which will be a 2.4c and either an Abit IS7 or Asus P4P800.

I only plan to do a moderate, conservative overclock: 250FSB, giving me 3GHz.

I'm aware that there seems to be a wall for the Abit board above 250FSB but as I don't intend to go above that, I don't see it being a problem.

My quesion is simple: what memory should I get for this modest overclocking goal? I'm assuming that for something like this (less aggressive overclocking) that there should be some options that are both reliable and affordable.

I intend to get two 512MB sticks for dual channel. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Get some Pc3200 and use a 5:4 divider whcih will put you at the rams rated speed 250FSB divided by 5 times 4 = 200MHz..i kno a site to get this ram with tight timmings....tight timmings are better then higher MHz...http://www.memory4less.com/memory/sqk_CorsairTwinXMS.asp go with that corsair pc3200 also they could have BH-6 chips in them so if you plan to overclock more just give em voltage and u got a good OC..

the timming are different look at the timmings on the page i gave you and look at the timmings on the page you just gave me..the ones you just gave me are Tested at ultra-low latency settings ""(2-3-2-6)"", command rate of 1T

the ones i just gave you are rated at 2-2-2 which is better and you would be getting your moneys werth with low timming like that

I dunno... seems like the cost of killer memory negates any savings from the chip. I'm starting to wonder why not just spend $20 more for a 2.8c? Wouldn't decent PC3700 memory be OK for that?

Any recommendations? (again, this is only for moderate overclocking...say 225-230 FSB for the 2.8c)

Moderate overclocking: invest more money on faster processor but buy cheaper mobo and memory.

Awesome overclocking: it's the other way around :p :p

scryber said:
I'm getting parts together for a new computer, the main parts of which will be a 2.4c and either an Abit IS7 or Asus P4P800.

I only plan to do a moderate, conservative overclock: 250FSB, giving me 3GHz.

I'm aware that there seems to be a wall for the Abit board above 250FSB but as I don't intend to go above that, I don't see it being a problem.

My quesion is simple: what memory should I get for this modest overclocking goal? I'm assuming that for something like this (less aggressive overclocking) that there should be some options that are both reliable and affordable.

I intend to get two 512MB sticks for dual channel. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

the 250 wall has been fixed.. also the 2.4c is capable of immense overclocks, some run stable easily at 3.6. if i were u id slap in a cheap stik of something ,test the cpu capability then go from there. who knows u might have what everyone dreams about. a 2.4c that runs over 3.6...

Well I don't know what the hell to get. I doubt the 2.8e is the way to go, though. That pin layout is a deadend, the heat/power is awful, overclocking is practically nill, and the benchmarks are lackluster.

Really-- isn't there any decent memory that doesn't carry such a price premium and lets you do an itty-bitty 25MHz bump to the FSB? It just doesn't seem worth it!

i have a 2.8e its too hot.. how about a 2.4c and some of that inexpensive komusa pc4200 hyperram?. that way if u decide to go higher than 250, u have the ability.

I second what flapperhead said. And the 2 sticks of 512mb Komusa is only $238 (get Adata brand). That's about as cheap as any decent memory you can get, and this is much better than just decent ;)

Loving my Komusa ADATA here too :p So much for it being "the best kept secret of the OC community" hehe... PC4200 nothing, mine is poking along nicely at the upper limit of my motherboard. I keep saying I'm going to voltmod it, but I'm trying to make myself happy with leaving it be...

I'll probably still volt-mod it one of these days :p 568DDR on 2.85v is pretty damned good for VERY inexpensve PC4200 memory.

You can also select whether you want heatspreaders or not (they don't come free with the ADATA option). I didn't order any with the ram because I didn't want them stuck on with the standard bubblegum stuff...

However, I did go ahead and have them ship me a set that are unattached. That way I can choose how to affix them, and maybe (only maybe) I have a way to better cool them.

And if not, hey, at least they look good with the red PCB and copper sink :D

flapperhead said:
i have a 2.8e its too hot.. how about a 2.4c and some of that inexpensive komusa pc4200 hyperram?. that way if u decide to go higher than 250, u have the ability.
I've decided on the 2.8c and I'm pretty sure I don't intend to go above 250. With that in mind, isn't pc4200 overkill? How about pc3700 hyperram instead?

im not sure what they use in the pc3700, i think its samsung. are u planning to go 5/4 or 1-1?. maybe just some inexpensive pc4000 and run 1-1.

flapperhead said:
im not sure what they use in the pc3700, i think its samsung. are u planning to go 5/4 or 1-1?. maybe just some inexpensive pc4000 and run 1-1.
I'm planning on 1:1 with the 2.8c. Most likely around 230FSB. Would you still recommend the hyperram for pc4000?

Back