• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB problem with external drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chimster

I just installed my A7N8X and now my external USB 2.0 drive no longer works. It is recognized but I cant access it. I can't even format it. It worked fine on my EPOX board even though that board wasnt usb 2.0 compatible. I've tried every USB port on the A7N8X with no luck. I think XP should automatically operate it at USB 2.0 (I may be wrong) but maybe there is some issue that Im not aware of. Any help would be great.

Have you installed XP's sevice pack 1 yet? If not you'll have to do so for getting the usb2.0 to work properly, not sure if it affects the usb1 though.

Jim

USB problem

Yep, I have sp1 and fully updated. I'll check Microsoft's support for a fix also. This is definitely a head scratcher.

Thanks

Look at this thread and see if you have anything missing in the device manager. 3rd or 4th post down. Could be the problem if you installed the mobo drivers berfore installing service pack 1.

Jim

USB problem

Yeah, I've seen that thread. I have reinstalled the mobo drivers since SP1. Maybe, I missed something. I'll try it again.

Thanks

Back