• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

toshiba laptop help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

i'm working on a toshiba laptop, has XP home.

problem: its constipated.
everything is slow. i turn it on and go to play pinball, it gives me the hourglass and nothing gets done. everything stops responding, and "Iexplore" takes 99% of my cpu, everything else takes nothing.

safe mode seems to be fine...so far.

i tried disabling all the startup stuff in msconfig through afemode and rebooting, still constipated.

i ran chkdsk, fixed nothing. i did the recovery CD's, same problem within 10 mins of getting it up.

any ideas would be appreciated, its a freinds and i want to LAN against him (i'm typing this on the ailienware desktop)

thanks, quick replies are always appreciated.

you might have soyware if you connect that comp to the net or mayb even a virus...i would just save the stuff i need and reinstall windows a fresh clean copy

i have already run the recovery disks, wiped the partition off and made a new one. so its not spyware....

i just did a test, brought up the system monitor thing before i ran anything.

system idle processes was 99%, untill i loaded pinball. now pinball is 99%, and its locked up. So, no matter what i load it locks up the computer...not a virus as i scanned the boot record and i repartitioned it.

tech support says its hardware, till i tell them its fne in safe mode. maybe its a driver problem? all i plugged in was the mouse that came with it.

so, basically the computer is still constipated. grunt.

any other ideas?

i'm pretty sure....yeah, so you were poting when i did. AHH!

Can you tell me the machine model? I think you've facing a problem with the cooling unit. Are you getting the machine stuck very quickly or after a while? Are you having 128Mb Or 256 Mb mem? Let me know the machine model then i'll let you things to look after of.

uh, its got 512 megs i think...dunno the model offhand and the owner is asleep (i'm spending the night)

but why would the cooler make the iexplore use all the power in reg mode and not in safe mode?! that doesnt make any sense to me.

the cpu doesnt seem to be getting THAT hot iether, i had it on my lap and the fan wasnt at full speed (but it is during boot)

humbug. i probly wont get my hands on it after today anyway. its still under warentee and will get free support/fixes for defectiveness.

chugith the laptop! its midnight, next weekend, i'm on the laptop. by disabeling the cardbus controllers(pcmcia?) it seems to be running fine. could this be a malfunctioning controller that needs replacement/repair? there are no expantions in this machine minus the cd rom.

pretty sure the cardbus whatcha callit is damaged. (although i also disabeled the modem at the same time...)

comments?

no comments? i would appreciate knowing if it should be sent in for repair...if he decided he wants to put a pcmcia in a few years and its a physical issue he will be unhappy...he still has free service for a few months,m but it would be a pain to send it in. you think its physical damage? (ormaybe just dust in it?)

Back