• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Heatsing for Athlon Mobile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigbadhenchman

Registered
I have a Zalman 7000 unit, and with my 2500+ mobile at 200X12.5, my voltage is at 1.71, temperatures is in the mid to upper 40's.
And I get a error on the prime95 test right away, even though the computer seems to be running fine.

Any suggestions to getting it cooler without adding noise of jetlike proportions?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS !

Are you using arctic silver thermal paste? That makes a big difference in heat transfer- I like AS-5 and I saw it the other day at Comp USA.

I love my Thermalright SLK-900a, and my mobile 2500 at 217 X 12 or 2.6 ghz is at 38 idle, 45 load with a 92mm Tornado at 3/4 speed.

I definitely recommend a Thermalright.

Bump you vcore up a bit to stabilize your overclock - and you might read the Memory and mobo forums to find out the best memory timings and mobo bios settings.

Good luck!

Attachments

• pc_explodes.gif
    pc_explodes.gif
    32 KB · Views: 164
yeah... thermalright seems to be the name in air cooling. The new "king" is the SP-97 with it's 3 heatpipes.

I also think that your error is caused by something else than just heat. (i run prime95 with no errors even at over 60°C... not for long - i'm afraid something may get damaged)

I used AS5. But the temperatures ar still quite high IMO.
47 at normal usage. I'm goingt o check tonight. maybe I put too much on, or not enough. Because I would think with the Zalman 7000 unit it should be a bit cooler.

You need more voltage. You proc should be ok if it stays under 57C or so at load- mine was running that hot this summer @ 2375mhz (ordinary Tbred). It's not good to run that hot, but as long as its stable...

I'd go for a monstrous Thermalright heatsink/fan with a moderately fast fan (sorry can't stand to have it asound like a blow dryer).

Last edited:
Ok. I slowly pushed the volatge up to 1.8, untill prime95 wouldn't give an error. It's been runnign for awhile right now, and all is still good.
Temperature fluctuates between 47 and 50 while running the stress test. A little on the high side, but I read that these things have a rating of 100C max.
But I will still look around for a better fan than the Zalman.
I'll put the Zalman in my other system.

Who has the best prices on heatsinks?

Back