• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7 chipset cooler not hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBH

My chipset cooler is not hot at all to the touch (even when oc-ed). The southbridge is hot, the mofsets are hot... everything is hot except for that. Could it be that it's not well fitted (stuck) to the northbridge? (it's the stock cooler if you were wondering)

It's not hot because there's a fan blowing air into it :p Put some heatsinks on the mosfets and the southbridge and they won't be that hot. Don't forget to remove the NB cooler, clean the chipset, reapply a good thermal paste (Abit did it badly), and put the cooler back on it.

i know it has a fan...

the thing that makes me think that it's not seated well is that the mobo around it is hotter than the heatsink (can i call that little piece of metal a heatsink ??? :) )

I used to have a kt600 before (gigabyte) and it was really hot (the northbridge) and i've heard that kt600 runs a lot cooler than nforce2.

I have set up 3 PCs using the NF7-S and all 3 northbridges did not have enough heatsink compound between the heatsink and the northbridge. Even with the HS compound it place it still does not get that hot.

The chipset is concave meaning you can lap it to get it flat or slap a lot of compound on there to get it to make good contact with the heatsink. I use a Zalman Passive heatsink on there with a lot of AS3 and it does get warm.

Back