• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC N00b

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KaHNZa

Okay, I'm thinking about getting into watercooling. The system that I would want would be fairly high performance, relatively cheap, and ultra easy to maintain. So what parts would I need? Oh, and don't worry about a block. I know a certain someone who can make me one. :D;)

How much space do you have for a rad? If you have the block nailed down, then all you really need is a rad and a pump and some tubing. For a rad, either a heatercore from an autoparts store if you want to go that route, sort of DIY and make a shroud. If not, go for something like the Dtek core with a couple of shrouds. http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=103 For a pump, well depends on what you want. I really like the swiftech MCP600's that are 12V. You could go Eheim, Danner Mag 3, Iwaki etc, etc.

KaHNZa said:
Oh, and don't worry about a block. I know a certain someone who can make me one. :D;)

That somebody wouldn't happen to have a DIY CNC mill would they?

Like Nik said, Money and space are the limiting factors. If you've plenty of both, sky's the limit.

It would be going into an Antec P160 case. And I guess I don't even really know how much this is gonna cost. I'll maybe have $200-$300 for this setup. Not 100% certain of that yet. And UberBlue, yes they would. I wouldn't be surprised if that person posts in this thread either. :D

I know hes good. And close so that I can go and pick it up when hes done with it. And I'm sure he wouldn't mind some greenbacks waving in his face for the effort. :D

Well...

Looking at pics of the P160, it looks like you have the following options for radiators.

1. A Chevette core mounted in the top of the case between the upper drive cage and PS. (good compromise)

2. A BIX on the rear 120mm fan. (least favorite)

3. If you'd be willing to scrap the HD cage, it looks like a big dual 120mm fan rad will fit in there. (favorite option)

Of course "fit" has been eye-balled only. It may, or may not.

The most expensive of those options is the BIX at ~$50. The heater cores range from $30-40.

Depending how far over the table Jon bends you for a water block (j/k). You should still have a good chunk of change for a pump. I'd wait to choose a pump until I knew what the flow characteristics of the block.

well for the pump either the setup, MCP600 from swiftech got my vote. Its small, quite and has lots of head. It also runs from PSU and it outputs only 5-9w

Well, My vote is for the swiftech pump too:D and 1/2"OD tubing! I dont think Ill ever build another 1/2" setup other than a peltier setup.

I was taking a look at that case, it looks good on the outside and inside except for watercooling, there is virtually no good place to put a rad. The only thing I could think of is pulling the hdd cage and a chevette rad or smaller would fit. I am about 95% sure anything bigger wont fit there.
I think I saw that case at compusa once and It wasnt really appealing to me.

Jon

Back