• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some questions regarding the mobile xps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tango88

Registered
Hi there,I'm from Singapore and will be going to LA next week. Read quite a bit about these new xp mobile cpus and feel like getting one. Have a few questions to ask you guys:

1. Which particular steppings/cpu type(mobile 2500/2600) should I be
looking for and how much it cost?

2. I'm presently using a NF7-S mobo ver 1.2 w 1700xp dut3c,oced to 2.2ghz,
will there be any visible difference while playing games(main pc usage) as
as compared with my present cpu?

3. Lastly,I'm staying in the mentioned hotel,where is the nearest shop/place
can I buy a mobile cpus from?

MILLENNIUM BILTMORE HOTEL
506, SOUTH GRAND AVENUE,
LOS ANGELES,
CALIFORNIA, 90071-2607, USA

Thank you for your time guys! Cheers......
:)

Have newegg.com ship it to your hotel if you have two or three days.
Any mobile Barton, even 2400+ should be OK.

There are no 2400+ Barton desktop CPUs but there's a 2400+ mobile Barton and it's the least expensive one.

Newegg is located in southern California, I think in the Los Angeles area- you might be able to just drive there.

ChiefScout said:
actually c627627, there are desktop 2400 bartons. They have the thorton cores, which is just a barton with half it's cache disabled. Enable it and you have a 2400Barton.
I hate to say it, but thatis not the same thing as a desktop Barton. Yes, it is basically a barton core with 256k cache disabled. Whic would be why they gave it a new name. It's actaully a thorton. And you can mod some to be Bartons, but not superlocked ones. And I doubt c627627 didn't know about the 2400+ thorton...

As for the difference in playing games, it depends on the games, and how much of an OC you get. I didn't see any difference in minesweeper going from a PII 233MHz CPU/win95 to a 2Ghz+ Athlon XP and windows 98...

c627627 said:
Funny story.
Before we knew the new CPUs were locked, I tried to mod a Thorton into a Barton and couldn't because I thought I didn't do it right. Meanwhile it turned out it was one of the first superlocked ones.

I get rid of it and the very same Thorton started changing hands until stamasd ends up with it and performs one of the first super-unlocks on it. :)

Can't do that on nForce2 mobos though.

Basically, the method involves heavy modding of the locked chips.

'PowerNow' feature allows voltage and multiplier changes in order to preserve battery life.

So if you have motherboard/chipset/BIOS support for PowerNow which not all boards do, nForce2 does not, you can use this feature on locked desktop CPUs.

You also need to boot into Windows with your locked multiplier and the FSB with which you can boot into Windows but you cannot change the FSB inside Windows, only the multiplier. Ironically, you can change the FSB too inside Windows with nForce2s but they have no PowerNow feature so it's of no use with super locked chips.

So with this so called super unlock method, remembering that MHz Speed = [FSB] x multiplier

FSB can be changed only before you boot into Windows but
multiplier can only be changed after you boot into Windows.

...with limited success so far.

It's not a real unlock at all.

If you get a locked 2400+ Thorton you can pretty much forget about turning it into a Barton so Gnufsh is right. Most 2400+ Thortons bought today are super locked.

Last edited:
actually connecting two cut bridges can't really be called heavily modding the chip...
but you're right this will not work on nForce2 motherboards.
I don't know why you went in this direction, this isn't really related to the thread topic

Because people will read this:
ChiefScout said:
actually c627627... which is just a barton with half it's cache disabled. Enable it and you have a 2400Barton.
and do what I did when I read similar posts: spring for a new Thorton, spend a long time messing with it, and not get anywhere.

Also, you're right, I'll stop posting the term 'heavy modding' in this case.

Back