• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pick-a-stick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

resoluteK

Hey all you venerable ram sages, here's a quick question. Not considering the price, which memory would be best performing in a system similar to the one in my sig? I'm going to get two sticks of whatever I buy (1 gig total). My two choices are..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-104&depa=0
Kingston 2700 with 2-2-2 timings (<- is this stuff bh5?)

or..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-424&depa=0&section=3
Kingston 3200 with 3-3-3 timings.

My first thought would be that the pc2700 sticks would be better, but I'm not certain. So help me out - thanks!

I hear you, and agree.. but I can get those two particular sticks for pretty cheap, so I was wondering what would be best out of those two.

Thanks for the reply

but then again if the 2700 has atleast BH-6 chip then u can OC that at higher clock rates the you prolly can get that pc3200 with high voltages

I think that 2700 is bh6, I seriously doubt it's bh-5. If someone else can confirm it's bh6 then I would get the 2700. If not get the 3200 as it would provide more headroom, assuming chips are the same.

Well I now know that I'm not going to be able to see the memory chips to confirm what chip they have. So.. do I take up this offer ($100 for a gig of the pc2700 hyperx) or do I just fork out much more for something like a gig of that Komusa ram? (what i was planning on doing before)

Ok, can I ask you why you say that? (sorry, just trying to learn)

That's what I was thinking too, just because Intel chipsets are usually regarded as superior. The only thing about that board though is that it only supports 800mhz fsb in overclocking, so I was womdering if that would work well with my ram or cpu overclock.

Back