• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile Barton 2500+: Can't run at 13.5 Multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I just picked myself up a Mobile Barton 2500+ (stepping IQYHA 0351 MPMW), and I'm having an odd problem, I think.

My motherboard (Epox 8RDA+ r1.1) and this processor get along fine from multipliers 6 - 12.5. At 13 and up, it says that there's been an overclock fail, and drops me back to failsafe defaults. It sucks, 'cause I can't even run this processor at stock speed for the burn-in I was planning.

I've checked the manual, flashed my BIOS to the latest revision, reset the CMOS etc, but all to no avail. It still won't hit 13 and up.

I've also searched the forum, but came up empty handed. I can't find anybody else having this particular problem.

Is this an issue w/ my board, or the processor, do you think? Is there anything else anybody would recommend me trying?

Thanks!

Im not totally sure yet, but from a post i made the other day and from what ive been reading, only the lower multipliers are available for this board without a pin mod. I have the same board and just purchased a 2400 mobile so im sure i will see the same problem. I will just run it at 12.5(the max multiplier w/out doing the mod)by 195 bus to get somewhere around 2400 if it will go that high. Apparently the mod is not hard and is reversible if done in the mb socket. hope this helps

Amd processors come in two flavours, ones that use <12.5x and ones that use >12.5x. The 2200+ was the first to do that, it could go anywhere from 12.5 to 18 or something, while all previous chips had lower multi's. Your cpu, because it runs with a lower multiplier(because of higher fsb), is in the lower multiplier range. You can physicly mod the cpu to run from only 13-18, or you can pin mod it to run only 1 select multi.

Slap me if you didnt understand.

I understand that, but it doesn't make sence in my case.

My processor is defaulted to 13.5x133 to get 1800 MHz. So by what you're saying, it should be in the higher multiplier range, due to the lower fsb.

I may just leave it alone, anyways. I'm already running it at 2500 MHz :D

Oni said:
I understand that, but it doesn't make sence in my case.

My processor is defaulted to 13.5x133 to get 1800 MHz. So by what you're saying, it should be in the higher multiplier range, due to the lower fsb.

I may just leave it alone, anyways. I'm already running it at 2500 MHz :D

The default for all mobiles is 6x not 13.5... when they start up on a laptop it is at 6x until booting into windows where software boosts it to 13.5x as far as I can tell. So desktop motherboards by nature only allow 6x-12.5x Only a few boards... NF7-S and DFI Lanparty/Infinity and a couple others can access all multis... the wire trick still works though so it's not that bad.

My 8RDA3+ locked out higher multipliers as well.

Freddie said:
Nforce2 boards unlock so that you may change the multi over 12.5.

No, look at what I just said... it is only some boards that can do it... the Epox boards mentioned are NForce 2 and do not have access to the higher multis by default.

Nope, I've got nothing over 12.5

I didn't realize that's how PowerNow! worked w/ the M-Bartons. Perhpas in a new BIOS they'll change that (if some nForce2 boards can, and others can't, it's pro'lly not hardware related)

I'm currently running @ 2425 MHz (12.5*x193) @ 1.65 Vcore. Been Priming for the last 7 hours :)

Freddie said:
Nforce2 boards unlock so that you may change the multi over 12.5.

It's important so we'll repeat it because I didn't understand it for a long time either: If your unlocked CPU has a default multiplier that is 12.5 and under, only three nForce2 boards can post higher multipliers: Abit, Soltek and DFI.

Others need a wire trick mod.

Remember that when purchasing.

The Coolest said:
look at the bottom pic at this page the red circle indicates the holes in the socket you need to short.

You haven't been "phucked". All mobile processors default to x5 (100MHz FSB ones) or x6 (133MHz FSB ones).
Then there are L6 bridges which indicate the MAXIMUM available multiplier for the CPU, software uses this info to know what to clock the chip to.
The mobile XPs have "Startup" multi and "Maximum" multi. They don't have a "Default" multi.

I saw that feature in GCPUID, but I wasn't about to mess w/ it much, 'cause I didn't know exactly how it worked. Kinda neat.

The bad thing is that it doesn't work on nForce2 motherboards... Its not a program issue, its just that the nF2 chipset doesn't support the requiered features to be able to change the multiplier on the fly.
If you have a SiS or VIA (KT266A or newer) mobo to try it in, you will be able to change multies using software.
On an nForce2 motherboard, what happens when u change the multi is that the PC hardlocks.

From what Ive heard its a known issue. You arent the first that needed to pin-mod to get to the 13.5x multi. I remeber another guy askin bout this. I also reccomended the pin-mod.

It worked perfectally for him. Maybe you can give it a shot.

I'm a little confused by The Coolest's post.

Had Oni had the 2400+ mobile instead of the 2500+ mobile, he'd be able to post high range multis on his Epox 8RDA+ like he would with the 2400+ Desktop CPUs, or no?

No, I don't believe so. It's 'cause M-Bartons don't have a 'default' multiplier. They start at 6 or 8, and are moved up and down as power requires (this is how PowerNow! works, as is my understanding) by the board.

There are only 3 boards that support this The DFI, the Abit, and one more I can't think of off of the top of my head.

Back