• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with Hibernation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

F4

Red Raccoon Dojo
I'm getting a problem trying to enable hibernation on my desktop machine.

When I go to enable hibernation I get the following message:

"Power Policy Manager Unable to reserve hibernation file", a Device attached to the system is not functioning.

I'm running a K7S5A, Athlon XP 1600+, 512MB DDR, 2x WD 80GB SE attached to Promise Fastrack TX2 mirroring, SB16, Intel 56k Modem, Windows XP Pro.

Anyone have any ideas?

Try entering standby mode and see if you get a similar message. If it does give you a message, it should tell you what device is goofing up. I have a feeling it's something to do with your storage hardware...

EDIT: Also forgot to ask, how much free space do you have? My computer requires almost a gig of free hard drive space to enter hybernation.

Last edited:
It went into standby mode without a problem, but it wouldn't come back out of it cleanly. When it came back, I could see my desktop image, but no start bar, or programs on it, and my mouse and keyboard were non-responsive.

I have 66.1GB free, which should be plenty.

I just did a fresh install, and I was having the same problem last time. I thought it might be a bios setting, but could find nothing. Must be hardware somewhere, but I don't know where

It could be the video card drivers,look at the site's trrouble shooting area and see if there is an issue listed.

I just checked with ATI, nothing I could find on their website, I emailed their technical support, and got a reply too quickly for me to beleive it's anything but an automated response, where they've thrown every option you can think of at me to try.

I have a 9600Pro (BB ATI)I'll just have to keep trying until I get it I guess. Disabling things one at a time.

Back