• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voodoo's PC Rev. 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Ok, time to tear it apart again! It's only been put together for almost 2 years on the same fluid.....:D

Current parts:

Blackice Prime 1/2" (the old 4 pass)
Swiftech MCW462B with 1/2" barbs
Eheim 1048

Parts I bought:

2 Coolingworks mini shrouds
2 Delta FFB1212VHE 150cfm 120mm fans (mad amounts of air)
AS5 (ran out of AS2)
5 feet of blue 1/2" Silicone tubing from Mcmaster (thanks Uberblue!)
Foam 120mm and 80mm filters (easier to clean than aluminum ones)

Goal: increase efficiency of system.

Going to finally shroud my rad giving it 1.25" of clearance from fan vanes to radiator fins (up from .25"), and do a push/pull setup. Going to eventually build a modified 4-channel PWM controller based on the designs on Bit-Tech's site with the MIC502 chip to control the beasts to a reasonable rpm. If I can figure out a clean way, I'll go pump->rad->T-line->block->pump. Going to take out the res that's 6 inches long.

Future parts: Blackice Extreme someday for better rad performance.

I'll get pics next week.

Oh yeah, check out these bad boys:

http://specnet.no-ip.com/vpics/Picture 046.jpg
http://specnet.no-ip.com/vpics/Picture 049.jpg

Fired one up today (VHE 150cfm), they're actually not that loud (even compared to my Panaflo 120 L1A). Not too much air or motor noise, and that that is there is not obtrusive at all. Push tons of air. Get the little rotation in your hand when you turn it. Gotta love physics. That's a 3.5g tube of AS5 for comparison. Thinking I should've gotten the 190cfm versions instead.

Though I think these will do just fine.

Those are huge :drool:. Why do you need so much air-flow? I mean more is always better but, isn't this kind of overkill? How do those couple of fans fit on your heatercore? A little too big or just the right size?

Of course it's overkill. H2O is by default! :D

Actually I was curious as to how loud these boogers would be. I plan on putting them on my own PWM fan controller to lower them to around 1500-200 rpm, with the 3200 rpm full power on tap when I want it. :p

I really like these things. I've run a PL1A 120 for a couple years now, but these aren't bad at all. The only downside is the price. $25. Ouch. Sidewinder did a very nice job of sleeving the cables too.

Oh yes, a nice guy in the H2O forums sold me a BIX as well. It'll be a much welcome addition to these Deltas. :D

Awesome Voodoo!

Those Delta's are awesome. I was checking out their spec sheet, and the airflow is just insane. Ever thought about the dual fan versions of those? It's basically 2 fans sandwiched together. They push a ton of air, but a lot of noise too.

Good work. When are you going to replace that aging Swiftech block?

It's aging nicely. :D

Hmm.....when I can afford to blow money on a Dtek WW. Right now I want to concentrate more on upgrading the hardware like my GPU and memory.

Interesting blade design they have. I bet bet at 5V they are very quiet and move lots o air. I'm still hunting for the perfect fans (no noise about 30-35 cfm) but going broke doing so. LOL. Have 2 of about 5 different fans laying around including torin blowers I could'nt RMA. LMK k.

Tubing didn't come before I went home. My project is put on hold until after finals (one week from now).

I tested the Deltas on a bench power supply. Turnon at 3V (very surprising) and move enough air to cool a rad. At 5V, about as loud as my Panaflo L1A 120 and the same airflow. At 7V, they're getting noticable but really start to crank out that air. At 10V and up, what the heck was I thinking! Darn beasts for fans. I'm glad I didn't get the 190cfm versions. Even a single one of these 150s would be wholly adequate for any single fan rad I think, and I'm going to cascade them on my new BIX. :D

Darn cool stuff. I don't think these fans are what you're looking for Beerhunter. Have some motor noise, but it's mainly air.

Holy thread resurrection!!

My project didn't die. But it did have some very frustrating setbacks. Turned into a many day off and on project.

The silicone tubing is great. Wonderful stuff, excellent bend radius, and bl00 looks so cool too.

Big problem:

When I bought my pump from Swiftech two years ago, they epoxied their fittings in (the compression fittings of old). When I removed them when I first built my rig, I stripped out a few of the threads. Using brass barbs and fittings doesn't help too much either since they taper towards the root. Since I've never taken off the barbs and fittings on my pump since I put it together, this caused me problems as the new fittings (even with teflon tape) let water through the CRACKED housing and threads on the inlet and outlet. So, I tried some Teflon paste instead. Good stuff, but didn't do the trick. Next up, PVC cement. It dissolved the pump housing nicely like I was hoping, so it helped to seal the housing back up for the most part, but water still came through the threads and some parts of the housing. So, up comes the long cure epoxy around all the fittings on the housing. That cured the housing leaks (and ensured that my connectors are NEVER coming out), but the threads STILL leaked. Very irritated by now. So the last gasp before air cooling or a new pump was epoxy putty. It comes in a stick, and you break a piece off, squish it around a bit like playdoh to mix the two substances (one inside the other in the stick), and apply to the surface. It will even cure UNDERWATER. So, I smother it around my inlet housing and the base of my outlet barb and let it cure for a day. Wonderful stuff. Leak tested my setup once more, and voila, no leaks. About time!

I'll have pics up soon of my completed setup, before and after. Will post temps and OC speeds once I get around to doing that as well.

I'm gonna git you Uber.....

With my dual Deltas running 5V (and my L1A Panny 120 retired to exhaust duty :D ), here are my waterblock temps on this Palomino 1700+:

Before (Tbird 1400, previous cooling setup):

Ambient: 25C
Idle: 35C
Load: 40C

After:

Ambient: 25.1C
Idle: 25.2C
Load: 28.5C (K7burn for an hour and a half)

How the heck!!!!!!

I had no idea I could get this kind of improvement (newly applied AS5 also). My guess is that the BI Prime with the Panaflo L1A no shrouded and not sealed (big dodo) against the rad plus the aluminum mesh filter in front of it did not do so well, mainly because of air pressure drop and leakage. Now I have dual Coolshrouds (Lothar5150 :attn: ) cascaded with the dual Deltas on a BIX sealed with neoprene foam and a foam filter. I can FEEL the air coming through the fans now, whereas before it was almost nothing. DANG!!!!

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The brass fittings on the inlet? Those aer 3/8" thread 90 degree and a 3/8" thread 1/2" OD barb.

Another note, T-Lines rule.

Omg, i want your fans. That is a wicked looking system, but would'nt some of the hot air get stuck under neath your graphics card?
that is the kind of setup i want for my water rig, so studying yours is actully really good reference ^^;;

I have a Panaflo 120mm exhaust that helps with that. The air will flow around the card (towards the camera)and out the exhaust fans. Right now airflow is pretty much neutral pressure. If I turned up the fans to 7V+ then I'd get positive.

Back