• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the mobile athlon OC'd to 2500mhz comparable to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

I'm interested in selling my current setup and purchasing a new AMD mobile proc. Aparently most people are able to do 2500mhz or more. This would be done with watercooling.

What is this comparable to? Like a 3600+? I'm just curious if I should upgrade. Currently have an old [email protected] that I've had for over 2 years now.

Well if it's run at dual 200 FSB, there are two official ratings on that,
3000+ at 2.1 GHz and
3200+ at 2.2 GHz

does that mean that hypothetical XPs at dual 200 FSB would be
3400+ at 2.3 GHz
3600+ at 2.4 GHz
3800+ at 2.5 GHz

It may not be 3800+ but it will be a an improvement over Intel 2.7.

You say you have water cooling? You may just hit over 2.5 AMD GHZ with lots of luck... 4000+ :) ? Maybe not, good luck either way.

I easily got 2.5 (12.5x200 actually) Ghz out of my Mobile 2500+ with very basic aircooling (Volcano 7+ on medium). Runs stable on evertything. Once I get my watercooling setup back together I think I should easily get 2.7 Ghz with some conservative memory timings. This would give it a PR rating of around 4000+ but would really equal the performance of like a 3.6 or 3.7 Ghz P4 (close)

Sweet! I've been out of the loop of AMDs for a while now, since my trusty 1.8A has been great to me. So I'll probably end up getting a mobile in a month or so.

I'm wondering how the memory situation is handled on the AMD side. I know with the new intel motherboards they have ratios to lower the memory clock for slower memory. I have 3 Dimms of 3200 corsair xms that I had bought a long time ago. I don't know if it would be able to handle a full 200mhz(A single dimm would), so what do you do about that? Or is the 200mhz fsb only a rating for the proc?

All these different ratings for memory speed, quad pumped, etc get really confusing after a while. I remember trying to explain to my dad which memory he needed to get, and he was pretty confused.:-/

Running the memory async is not a good idea, as you loose a lot of performance due to latencies. With enough voltage, and maybe a bit relaxed timings your RAM should do 200MHz FSB.
Hey just look at my sig, my RAM would do 209MHz @ 3v, and its PC2100 :D

2.5GHz Barton roughly equates (in reality) to a 2.6GHz T-Bred 3.4GHz Pentium 4, or 2.2GHz Athlon64.

ahh ok... hrmm.. trying to decide if the speed increase is worth it then. I guess I'll just wait till 4ghz+ is easily accessible. I know the p4's are pretty much doing 3.7ghz pretty easily, but I was just looking for something fairly inexpensive(amd) and sell my current setup.

I'm sure its quite a bit faster, but I don't stress the cpu enough :( And most games I play are on Xbox(The future of gaming).

The hard truth is, a heavily overclocked AXP can be rather easily trounced on by a moderately overclock P4. But both can be beaten by an Athlon 64 at stock. IMHO, this would be your best choice. A proper configuration of an A64 system would only be about $100 more than a mobile Barton setup.

X-Box the future of gaming????? :rolleyes: :p

Back