• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eheim 1250 compared to the hydor l30

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Busty St. Clair

ok so no its time to choose a pump and i was wondering if the hydor l30 performs the same as the ehiem 1250 in noise, head, gph, and reliability

I don't know why some hate the L30. Mine has been running non-stop for almost 2 years now with no problems at all. Quite and cheaper than the Ehiem. Can't beat that.

SysCrusher said:
I don't know why some hate the L30. Mine has been running non-stop for almost 2 years now with no problems at all. Quite and cheaper than the Ehiem. Can't beat that.

Ya, i've heard some ppl praise the L30 for its silence, but others seem to disagree, maybe a few bad batches got out or somethin?

my L30 is completely silent.

If it weren't for my relay, I'd probable leave it on all of the time, because I'd forget to turn it off.
You can't hear it at all.

Sometimes I think there's not any water flowing because it's so quiet.

Small too.

Take note about the hydor. My L30 is quite loud because the hole through the magnet is off center so the magnet hits the inside of the shaft of the motor as it rotates. It pumps very good still but it is loud as heck and there is no guarantee that the one you buy won't do this. Many people have loud hydors but there seems to be no complaints about the eheims.

RockerII said:
Take note about the hydor. My L30 is quite loud because the hole through the magnet is off center so the magnet hits the inside of the shaft of the motor as it rotates. It pumps very good still but it is loud as heck and there is no guarantee that the one you buy won't do this. Many people have loud hydors but there seems to be no complaints about the eheims.

Whoa.. that sounds very serious, it was like that new? :eek:

Busty St. Clair said:
i think that there is a fix for that like putting a dot of glue somewhere i know i read it on this forum

Can you find it plz?
I've got a L30 on it's way here

I tried 3 L30 all were **much** louder than 1048.
Now running dual 1048 in series, that gives me both silence and enough head.

I have slightly modified the mounting bracket for the L30 to accomodate some bolts with rubber washers on each end, when it is bolted down, you cannot tell that it is on, TOTALLY silent.

RockerII said:

I would of sent it back for a replacement. Search for Ehiem problems on these forums. You'll see the Ehiem is no different in quality. Your always going to get a bad one now and then.

Another thing I learned last year about distributors was they'll buy at the best price that they can. What they don't know is that the manufacture will have a batch of their product that has some kind of flaw so they'll hold on to it and sell for a cheap price to cover for the loss. Distributors buy them up thinking they got a good deal and passing that "good deal" on to us. Worst case scenario - Compusa.

Last edited:
hkp0lice said:

Ya, i've heard some ppl praise the L30 for its silence, but others seem to disagree, maybe a few bad batches got out or somethin?

I'm sure a few bad ones got out just like every other product out there. Us humans are not perfect, we make mistakes.

I got the thing back in August last year and was heading back to school so I didn't send it back. I just found out that the hole was off center last time I took the pump apart and you can see the spot where teh marnet rubs on the inside of the motor case.
It did this when I first got it, and it did it after I broke the ceramic shaft. Still pumps like new, have to give it that.

Back