• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can u do to stop me from RMA'ing this board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panzerknacker

Disabled
Ok, I've tried everything. Latest drivers, tried other bios, messed with the settings, checked the IRQ's, got another PSU, but it all didnt help. The USB of my NF7-S 2.0 is still NOT working, none of the ports. Always the same message 'a usb device has malfunctioned but is not being recognised by windoze'.

I'm having this board now for some months, it's pretty good at most points but I NEED USB!

Unless one of u knows WHY my USB is not working, I'm going to RMA it as soon as possible.

Do you have the PCI/AGP locked? That was my problem also, I noticed that I forgot to lock the PCI, and it was running out of range for the USB to work. Once I changed it back to 33mhz, all was great.

Have you tried to run at your default speed for your chip (IE: not overclocked)? If it still doesnt work at stock speeds, then yes I would say the board is bad, but if that solves it, then you need to look at some of your settings for overclocking and make sure everything is set properly.

I'm running it at default speed right now, but it doesnt make any difference. I'm waiting for some more people to show up with ideas before RMA'ing it, but I think it will the only way.

Tried some more, I messes with the jumpers, messed another time with the bios, nothing, and really nothing. The LED of my logitech mx500 doesnt lit up, the LED on my wingman gamepad doesnt lit up as well. The force feedback of my MOMO racing wheel doesnt turn the wheel to it's center position. Only that Damned message

'One of the USB deviced attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.'

All 6 ports! (yeah I got a case with 2 front ports and I have the bracket installed. I already tried disconnecting all of this but the 2 ports on the mobo itself still did not work)

I'm starting to give it up. One thing, this was the first and last Abit mobo I ever used. Not because I think all of them are bad, but because I've heard of more people who had to RMA it.

I'm going VIA KT880/MSI next time, if it proves to be any good/OC any good. I love my MSI K7T266 Pro 2, never had one single problem with it. (everyone from Abit section of the forum: 'huh? a mobo without a problem, does that exist?')

I'm starting to give it up. One thing, this was the first and last Abit mobo I ever used. Not because I think all of them are bad, but because I've heard of more people who had to RMA it.
Keep in mind that you always hear from people with problems, and never from the happy ones. :)

Still, it looks like the board is defective. If I were you I'd go ahead and RMA. Take a look at the DFI Infinity - people have been getting very good FSB clocks on that board.

This may sound like a stupid question, so pardon me if it sounds a little "elementary".

1) Have you enabled the USB ports in the bios (I set it to v1.1+v2.0, controlled by OS).
2) Have you "installed USB"? IIRC, USB drivers are no longer included in the nforce unified driver set, but can be installed automagically from windows xp sp-1 I think (if that's what you're using). I seem to recall having to manually go to my device manager, and under USB Controller or something like that, had to do Right Click -> Install or something to that effect. All I mean to say is that USB doesn't work on a fresh system install, you have to manually "install it", since the nForce drivers don't do it for you.

Do you have the PCI/AGP locked? That was my problem also, I noticed that I forgot to lock the PCI, and it was running out of range for the USB to work. Once I changed it back to 33mhz, all was great.

Bchur, there's a setting for the PCI bus in the NF7-S bios? I've never seen it before. I've only seen the AGP bus frequency option. Or are you assuming (not sure if it's correct, but I'd imagine it is) that when you increase the AGP Bus Frequency, you increase the PCI Bus frequency by 1/2? (ie. 70mhz AGP = 35mhz PCI)?

@johan851

I think I wait for the KT880 boards, and see if they are good. I think they will be better than the nforce 2.

@tyson-chris

1. Yes, I'm using those settings, tried both 1.1 and 2.0
2. I'm using winxp with sp 1, and everything is installed.

but it just doesnt work.

This is really stupid but with the Nforce 2 you must have SP1 installed then go to the USB controllers and hit update drivers and let it automatically update. It'll scan the drive and then the net finally getting the right driver off window's update.

can someone with a NF7-S please make a screenshot of the device manager showing the installed usb devices? Here is mine.

devicemanager.JPG

My siz is using a nforce2 as well, on a asus mobo and on her's it looks exactly like mine. But her usb works :p

ok what is did is the folowing.

I checked what files are used in the driver details. I copied all those files from my siz's computer to mine, in the system32 and system32/drivers folders, overwriting my own files.

reboot.

nothing had changed, still didnt work :mad:

Back