• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Given the choice of cooler, which would you get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can't really compare them, one is air cooling and one is phase change. If you are willing to spend the money for a vapochill, then by all means that is the way to go. Or if you want air cooling, go for the SLK947, but if you have the money for a vapo, go for it, it's way better.

Please forgive me for being a dumbass, but....

bchur83 said:
You can't really compare them, one is air cooling and one is phase change. If you are willing to spend the money for a vapochill, then by all means that is the way to go. Or if you want air cooling, go for the SLK947, but if you have the money for a vapo, go for it, it's way better.

What's the difference? And I assume you can't use them both at the same time on the same CPU........:-/

um, well vapochill is phasechange cooling, kinda like a refrigerator and it cools your cpu with that getting sub zero temperatures, but it is very expensive. a thermalright slk-947u, is a copper heatsink which is placed on your processor and a fan is mounted on it. the fan and the heatsink in combination work to cool your processor by disspating heat through the copper fins..

We're talking about $40 vs. $hundreds.

Are you a serious overclocker looking to get the last bit out of your chip? Then phase change is the way to go. If you're just getting into the hobby, I would recommend the SP-97. It is the top of the line air cooler right now and performs very well.

Well..............

OSUmaxx said:
We're talking about $40 vs. $hundreds.

Are you a serious overclocker looking to get the last bit out of your chip? Then phase change is the way to go. If you're just getting into the hobby, I would recommend the SP-97. It is the top of the line air cooler right now and performs very well.

I AM just getting into it and only just learning from you good folks here........but I'm not too bothered about spending the money when I have it, much to the chagrin of the wife ;)
Hmmm, the Thermalright is only £29.38, too, admittedly a £300 difference, but I don't suppose there's anything wrong with wanting the best you can get

If you're just starting out and want to get into overclocking, I'd go with the SLK. I doubt that it will at all limit you on your cpu overclock.

If you are feeling a bit more adventurous, you may want to look at watercooling, rather than phase change, which is less "risky", and less expensive.

Phase change systems are really for the absolute hardcore, who do it as a hobby, and want to push the limits of current systems. (IE. 3dMark "competitors" that compete with eachother for the top score). Otherwise, afaik, there are a lot of things you need to know about phase change, including proper insulation given condensation. The marginal benefits I don't feel will be large enough for you to justify such costs (both money and time).

So............

The Vapochill is more "risky" than Watercooling?
Now I'm getting into thinking even more....which isn't good, as I'm a dumbass ;)

Back