• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help choosing complete system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slimmy

Ok i got a friend needs help building a comp. He is getting about $1700 from taxes. He wants a amd64 and a radeon 9800xt 256mb. Oh ya he wants to to be very overclockable. Also all the money includes monitor and all accessories. Oh ya most or all need to come from newegg or other us site. Thanx

If your friend wants a good overclocker then he definatly needs to wait till the Socket 939 comes, the 939 pin chips are gonna be using a new stepping, which should be, in theory, very overclockable, and also have a new nVidia chipset which has locked AGP/PCI, and will not limit FSB OCing because of components which can't handle the PCI speed.
Basically what he should do is wait till around the end of the month for more info on the chips and mobos that will be available for that platform.

I’d have to agree with The Coolest here, if you (or he) wants to spend that kind of money it’d probably be best to wait it out another month or so.

If you (or he) really wants to build a system I’d probably look for a DFI motherboard and an AMD mobile 2600+ XP, there good components he can always stick them in a 2nd rig if he upgrades to a 939 board and another chip. Everything else for the rig can be transplanted from the first box to the 2nd, just buy high quality stuff (good PSU, PC3700 RAM, 9800 XT, etc). As far as I know none of those things are going to go out of style when socket 929 boards come out.

Back