• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile 2500+ on A7V333?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vaneesbe

Registered
I just purchased an Athlon XP-M mobile barton. 2500+ with a 266 FSB. That should default to a multiplier above 12.5x, but I still only get 5-12.5x multipliers in the bios on my A7V333. What gives?

Now I'm limited to 170x12.5 = 2125Mhz, which sucks compared to the potential of these chips. My FSB is not stable any higher.

I'm running the latest bios - 1018 beta. I can't find an option in my bios to accept the default multiplier and FSB settings of the CPU - I absolutely cannot get multipliers above 12.5x, even though this CPU requires one by default. What is Asus' malfunction?

Damnit....phucked again, by Asus.

Does anyone have a link to a site that shows the wire trick for the A7V333? I'd like a clear picture that just shows me what pins to jumper out.

look at the bottom pic at this page the red circle indicates the holes in the socket you need to short.

You haven't been "phucked". All mobile processors default to x5 (100MHz FSB ones) or x6 (133MHz FSB ones).
Then there are L6 bridges which indicate the MAXIMUM available multiplier for the CPU, software uses this info to know what to clock the chip to.
The mobile XPs have "Startup" multi and "Maximum" multi. They don't have a "Default" multi.
Also you can use GCPUID (my sig, red link) to be able to get to that multiplier without any wire tricks.
download the proggy and read the readme file carefully.

AWESOME.

Hey, this is awesome.

I do have a couple of questions for you though:

My maximum multiplier is now 14X. Will it go any higher?

Also, it only gives me a maximum voltage of 1.45V. Why is that?

So, this thing seems to allow me to run 2352Mhz at the default 1.45V with this 2500+ XP-M. Is this normal? These seems phenomenally good.

Is there any way I can get my computer to automatically set this when it boots?

You rock. :)

Mike.

Have you fully explored a higher FSB? I couldn't get much higher than where you are now until I upgraded the Northbridge cooling.

Of course it could be memory, or the BIOS that is holding you back. But the KT333 chipset is capable of running well over 200 MHz FSB.

This little program is great, but I also can't get the command line to work....it looks like it works, but it just doesn't change the multiplier. I must use the GUI interface for it to work.

If the command line interface worked and it gave me multipliers beyond 14x, this would be the ultimate solution.

Looks like I'm trying the wire trick tomorrow.

My A7V333 craps out above 170Mhz. I suspect it may be my RAM - it was cheap PC2700.

Ok, thanks for the info, I haven't really tested the command line yet, as I don't have a mobile processor to work with its a bit hard.
If you want higher multipliers than x14, you will have to connect an L5 bridge on the chip, it will be the only one disconnected on your processor, there are unfortunatly no wire tricks for that.
Also in desktop motherboards a mobile voltage of 1.45v is being read as 1.575, so you're basically running 2.35GHz at about 1.6v.
You can't change the voltage on the fly on desktop motherboards, its a shame, but you got your BIOS options for that :)
Anyway good luck with your new chip, and I'll look into the command line thing with my program.

Well, I did the wire trick. Wow, that was easy. Now for the weird stuff.

I have many more multipliers. 14.5 and 15.5 don't seem to work, but that's no biggie.

BUT, this thing is perfectly stable at 2352Mhz (14x 168) @ 1.65V. I struggle to get to 2.5Ghz. I used to be able to set this A7V333 at 1.8V. Now the highest is 1.775V. WTF?!

Anyway, 15x168 = 2520Mhz is not stable, even at 1.775V. It'll reboot after a few minutes. I thought 2.5Ghz was an easy gimme with these chips. WTF?

My heatsink is good - it's a Switchtech MC462.

BUT, what is the deal with the voltage? I want my 1.8V setting back!

Can anyone help?

kinda weird, my board is mess up like that too, when i set it at 1.8V it runs at 1.87V, and anything below 1.8V will result in an undervotage of .02, i don't know why but some board likes to under or over votage a little.

ASUS boards will only let 0.2v over default CPU voltage, as your chip defaults to 1.575v, 1.775v is the max, you will have to do more wire tricks or connect L11 bridges to be able to take the vcore higher.

PS. could you please let me know if it now can change the multiplier from command line? I don't have a mobile chip and no way of testing this.

can anyone tell me in pictures how to get 14 multiplier with A7V333 REV 1.02 ?

I heard that 1.02 is pretty retarded, but had no oppurtinity to check.

Btw, why to do wiremod? It's not very useful with mobiles - better change multiplier on fly, from windows :) You need special proggie - called CPUMSR or something...

I should ge tBarton not-mobile in a few day, and I'll tell you how it works after Xp->Xp Mobile mod :]

If you connect the 2nd (which is the only cut) L5 bridge you'll have access upto x24.
Also check out GCPUID (my sig, red link) as it also has the option the change multiplier on the fly.

connecting a bridge is way safer than disconnecting one. I tried to do this on my Tbred, I think that's why it is now deceased. I will recommend doing the 2nd L5 as its only one bridge, and gives you the max x24 multiplier.
the irony is that I killed my chip one day before I myself found out about the 2nd L5 bridge :(

Back