• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which memory for 865PE NEO2-FIS2R with p4 2.8 800fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magnummafia

hi i just got this motherboard and processor and i need to get some memory for it, as i understand it has an automatic overclocking feature so i'm not really sure as to what memory i should use. i really just want to use the cpu to play bf1942. i'm probably gonna just go with 512 and have been looking at kingston hyperx, corsair and mushkin. i'm not really looking to overclock it so do you guys think i'd be good to just go with some pc4000? please help
thanks

If your not planning on overclocking you will probably be good with pc3200. You may want to consider gettting 1 gig because bf1942 uses a lot of memory. But if your on a budjet then 512mb its perfectly fine.

hey thanks for the reply, i've been trying to gather as much info on memory as i can and i'm starting think that i might want to start overclocking in the near future. once i read more and understand it beter. so i don't really want to pigeon hole myself, what i was wondering is if i did go with faster memory like 3500 or 3700, would i need to make adjustments in the bios for it to work or will it adjust automatically?

You would need to make adjustments in the bios, however if you have a 2.8c then it most likely will be an issue since this chipset seems not to like overclocking with a 5/4 ratio. I wouldn't le that bother you though. A 2.8 is a pretty good overclocker and you should be able to reach the specs on your ram (3500 or 3700) When you do a straight 1/1 ratio.

unless u need 250+mhz memory speed, gettin pc4000 is a waste of money.. but u would be sacrifing alot of performance cause 2.8c's can easily overclock to 3.5+, not to mention the added memory bandwidth running at 250

what do u guys think about going with geil platinum pc4000, then running my p4 at 250? this memory looks decent and for $117 i can get 2x256 chips. i would i be better off going a different direction. any suggestions?
thanks for all the input.

what are the timing on that geil? You might want to look at the komusa 4200. look for the komusa thread and you might get some ideas.

that komusa looks enticing but it's about 170 shipped and i can get the geil for like $120.now i'm new to this so correct me if i'm wrong. but from what i've read, the geil will do it's rated speed, just can't overclock that well, so if i get the pc4000 and oc my p4 to 250, can't i run it at 1:1 without much of a problem, also i think i might return this mobo for an ic7 would that be a good idea? any others with suggestions, i'm jsut rying to squeeze the best out for my really low budget.

might wanna check bb or cc for some 2x256 pc3200 kingston valuram with hynix bt-d43 chips. they are pretty common, and i havent found one that doesnt oc to at least 260. thats mainly what pc4000/4400 is. plus if get it on sale with a rebate u can sometimes get 2x256 for real cheap 50-75 bux. otherwise the geil is just fine...

thanks i'll check that out today. also does anyone have a suggestion as far as the mb? should i get the ic7? or just keep the msi?
thanks again u guys are really helpfull

Back