• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K8T NEO Questions for users of it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

Looking for feedback from users of this board in particular.

Wondering why mem bandwidth scores are coming in low, like 2600/2500. I realize the VIA A64 boards do not run dual channel.

I am also looking to see what other tweaks are recommended in bios as A64 is new to me. here is my gear

A64 3000+
MSI K8T NEO
2x512 Hynix pc3200 w BT-D43chips(hits 290fsb on P4)
36 GB Raptor sata
160 GB Segate sata
Pioneer A05U
48x24x48 LG dvd/cdrw
Antec 1040 w 400 w psu

Cisco KId

what speeds where you expecting. That is not bad considering you have a single channel memory architecture.

All AMD Athlon XP 64's have a single channel mem controller.

the FX's run the dual channel.

reaslistically I am expecting at least 3000/3000 as I am seeing others with 3300/3100. Since I am just getting familiar with the board I am not sure if I may be missing out on something in bios

Thanks for the reply

Otherwise I luv the setup

CK

I am not sure what you are using to bench for your memory scores, but i doubt anything like 3300MB a sec would be achievalbe unless there is some Overclocking.

lets say that you run a stock, non oc'd athlon 64.

These chips have an onboard memory controller that supports
a single DDR channel at 400 Mhz, or 200DDR.

Max theorectical bandwidth for the memory you are using is PC 3200, or 3,200 MegaBytes per second.

Add to the fact that A64's require registered/buffered memory and your speed will drop a bit. add in other variable such as memory timings and such and you would realistically be looking for a number well below 3200.

I do not have one, but i would say that you should be looking for something in the 2400 range. With you getting 2500-2600 you might actually be doing fairly well.

But like I said, there are often a lot of variable. The only recommendation I can make is do some more research on your board and see if there is anything that can improve your memory scores.

hope that helps.

Add to the fact that A64's require registered/buffered memory and your speed will drop a bit. add in other variable such as memory timings and such and you would realistically be looking for a number well below 3200.

He's using a a64 which uses normal ddr ram, its the FX chips that use the registered ram. So if you go by your theory he should reach or get close to that 3,200mb/s score. I am looking at getting this motherboard for a client, how was the set up, any problems with ram, etc...?

So far the setup works perfect, I installed everything and did not have one issue runnning 2 sata drives no raid. My ram works perfect with the board no conflicts issues and it is supported and testsed by MSI.

After tweaking and doing some tighter timngs on the mem I am closing in on 3000 for mem score.

Very happy with this board and I recommend it, I have run pime 95 for 15 hrs no issus at 210 fsb so I know that it overclocks fine and I will go for 220 fsb later on. For now I am running it at 205 fsb. Me gear is below

A64 3000+
MSI K8T NEO
Radeon 9800 Pro
2x512 Hynix pc3200 w BT-D43chips(hit 300fsb at 5:4 on P4 2.4C)
36 GB Raptor sata
160 GB Segate sata
Pioneer A05U
48x24x48 LG dvd/cdrw
Antec 1040 w 400 w psu

CK

What cpu cooler are you using? I have the 3200+ and with the Volcano HSF I still cant go over 208FSB without instability. I am thinking of water cooling, but what can I expect from this setup?

I use a Zalman 7000, really is watercooling really worth it to get may be another 10-15 fsb. The whole issue at this time with the K8T800 is no pci/agp lock. Futer noards will have it. Are you on the newest bios? I would go with a different cooler first before spending more cash unless you wanna go silent, but my system is quite quiet with a Zalman and 3 case fans

CK

thanks for the heads up I just updated to 1.4 as well. I tell you I love bios updating made so easy by MSI!!! I also really like this A64 setup, I have not had any issues and I am running a sweet and tight 215 fsb.

Plan to go to 220 but I really do not want any HD corruption to occur as my OS drive is a Raptor...

CK

Glad to hear you like it Cisco, because I just got mine tonight. I went with a A64-3200+. I will be carrying over all my other componets, except sound, where I purchased a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS :).

I've put everything in my new Antec case, tomorrow all the other stuff from my present A7N8X system comes over.

score.jpg

:) :) :) :) Stock!

A64.jpg

i have that same thermaltake silentboost hsf on my board, it works much better with a panaflo h1a, and i think its quieter too:D.

have you bumped up to 220fsb yet CiscoKid? ive been running the setup for almost as long as you at 220fsb and my raptor hasnt complained yet

scott_55X: I get around the same score with my 2.4b. :p It's because 3DMark03 is mainly GPU dependant. 01 is the mix.

i have a kingmax 3200 and it run very stable at 220fsb, but cna't seem to go over 225 tho. the CPU gets around 45 when it is not overclocked. I dont think i want it to be overclocked if stock temp is 45 (idle). case temp around 40(idle). I am happy with my 2ghz computer. no complain what-so-ever. what are yall's cpu temp?

scott_55X said:
Yeah, 3dmark03 sucks IMO. My 3200+ will smoke that 2.4 in everything else though :beer:

I'll let you know if thats true, heres my setup....

P4 2.4c @ 300 FSB (3.6Ghz)
Thermalright 948u
Tornado 92mm
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
1Gb Mushkin PC3500 Level II Black 2-2-2 (Win BH5)
2 x 74GB Raptors Raid 0
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
NEC 2510a DVD Dual Layer

This is what Ive been using.... I just bought a MSI K8T Neo FSR, and plan on buying a AMD64 3200+

After I bench them with the same setups I'll let you know who the clear winner is!

The nice part about he 948U is that it fits P4 and AMD64! Thats why I bought it!

This is my new one so far.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Newcaslte CG
1GB Corsair XMS3200TwinX Pro
120GB Seagate SATA 8MB
MSI K8N-T
Zaalman CPS7000
Radeon 9800 Pro

I am really happy so far. I got him @ 220FSB with 2.4something GHz. I am still trying to figure out what all the stuff is.

Is a CG Revision good?

Back