• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there such a thing as too cold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Busty St. Clair

i saw specs of this one guys who oced an amd athlon mobile to 3.0ghz and was using liquid nitrogen and was getting like -200 celcius and i was wondering, isn't that too cold because usually things have a recommended operating temp ex -20c through 40c

I doubt he got down to -200... -40-80C maybe.
Its probably not a healthy temp to run a chip at 24/7 but it won't kill it by running it a short while at that temp.

yeah that's what i thought and i wonder y people buy like liquid nitrogen for that because it's expensive and not good for the chip and if they only do it to show of to people thats dumb

Hey, its all in good fun. Who wouldn't want to run at 3.5GHz, even if it was for only a couple of minutes? :p

Gautam said:
Hey, its all in good fun. Who wouldn't want to run at 3.5GHz, even if it was for only a couple of minutes? :p

If it'd post and you could get a screen shot of it running at 3.5Ghz with CPU-Z it'd be worth the money, and the better if you could get a full run though in 3dmark03. ;)

It doesn't quite work to run on liquid nitrogen 24/7. Imagine how much nitrogen would be in your room. :eek:

Toxicated by nitrogen anyone? :p

With Ln2 you'd be at like -140C probably.

Anyway, Eventually you reach a point where it is too cold yes.

Back