• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP install locks-up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

Awhile back my bro bought an HP. Recently I put in a new mobo, he wanted a faster CD-RW, he upgraded to a 9600np, and we got a new case w/ the hi-Q 350W @ newegg.

Shuttle AN35N-Ultra
AMD 2000+ palomino
512MB of PC2100 ram
80GB HDD
ATI 9600np
CD-RW
DVD-ROM
No PCI cards installed

First I was getting an error "saying we could not coppy such and such a file," when windows was loading its setup files. That was w/ pre installed from HP, and I was reinstalling from a CD. Now after reformatting the HDD, loading linux on to it to make sure the system was groovey (which ran fine for the short while I played w/ it), and trying to install windows, it locks up at the point "setup is now starting windows." That's when num locks stops working. Then I get to the screen press enter to install, r to repair, or F3 to exit. I suppose it could be the keyboard crapping out. It's USB, I'll try it with an adapter next. But I'm pretty sure it's just locking up. I also tried higher memory voltages which didn't do it.

What do ya think?

Plugged in a regular PS/2 keyboard and everything is groovalishious now.

Sorry to waste a post... maybe someone will find it helpful via search some day... lol. USB keyboards... why?

I have found that also. XP doesn't like USB keyboards during install. I had a problem where my RAID controller was sharing the same IRQ as the USB and the USB wouldn't work when installing.

More trouble. Still using the PS/2 keyboard, after installing setup files and stuff, it reboots of course, and it should be able to boot from the HDD. Well it dosn't. I get "Error booting from operating system." And nothing further. I have tried booting from HDD-0, and HDD-1 just for the heck of it. Exact same message w/ either one of those.

Now what do you think? It copies everything it needs then won't work.

I had similar problem, turn out to be a bad HD. Even though I reformated a few times, even using Norton erase for shure, and checked and double checked it for erros, etc. After replacing it, instalation was Ok.

I would have thought the same thing... but I was able to boot to the the XP installation that HP had on there, back up all the files, then when I was having trouble I was even able to load linux on it w/ out a problem. So I doubt it's the hdd. What about a boot sector virus?

Ok, I swapped IDE cabels, and re-ran WD diagnostic tests. It repaired some junk (which it said was unrepairable before), and reformatted now everything is groovey. I think it was mostly the boot sector the had something wrong w/ it. I'm up and running now!

Back