• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile 2600+ - Motherboard and Heatsink advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jpm804

First time post here at these fourms...I just received my mobile 2600+ from newegg yesterday...(AQHYHA 0346 XPMW)... Any one else have this same stepping?..didnt notice it on the thread tracking all the steppings...

Well i'm in the middle of a rebuild of my previous machine....going from an intel machine..This gonna be going in my Lian Li PC75B (other details of rig in sig)

I just now need to choose a motherboard..Narrowed it down to the Abit NF7-S v2 or DFI NFII ULTRA INFINITY...any suggestions..is one really better than the other? Kinda leaning towrds the NF7-S..

Also Currently I was running a Zalman 7000Al-Cu with my P4, but I'm not sure if that is gonna be enough cooling power for this system since I plan to overclock it eventually...I thinking of picking up a Thermalright if thats the case...Any suggections on which one would do the job?? I was thinkin the SP97, but would would any of the other models be just as good for cheaper....Anyone know where the best prices on thermalright heatinks are?

Sorrie for the long first post....any advice would be appreciated

c627627....Thanks for the links....already started looking and it looks like the cheapest place is svcompucycle....luckily they are located in my city so i can just do a pickup...$44.99... Will keep searching for cheaper prices on the sp97

Man, last summer SK-7 was $15 + shipping.

If you find an all copper Thermalright (any all copper model whatsoever) for a lot less than $45, please let me know...

The SP97 happens to be out of stock. I'd suggest an SLK947U anyways.

Definitely go with the DFI; it will complement your PC4000 memory perfectly, whereas the NF7 would simply waste that speed.

The high prices are a result of Thermalright's rapidly increasing popularity; what can you say, the same is happening to Fortron as well. Generally the next step in this progression is a decline in quality. Lets just hope that doesn't happen.

Gautam.....yeah i noticed they were out of stock...sucks:( ... hopefully they can get them back in soon... i was looking at the 947U also...since it looks like it will work with both a P4 and AMD system.. thanks for the advice..

Still deciding what Motherboard to go for...Yeah from reading other posts... its looks like the DFI motherboards are better at hitting higher FSB speeds...

If you DFI or NF7-s board owners can give me what FSB you are currently running it would be appreciated..

My actual rebuild of my system was suppose to be a P4 when i bought the PC4000 memory to try to hit 1000mhz FSB..., but once i started reading about these mobiles, my plans changed ..hahaha

The max on my NF7 is 225. AFAIK this is typically where it craps our. However I had it at 245 when I was testing my setup with PC4000.

I would go DFI. Threre is less uncertanity of breaking 500mhz with DFI

Thanks for the info Sentential..

Looks right now i've got two votes for DFI and none for Abit...

Any abit NF7-s board owners got their systems runnin in the 230-250 fsb range??

A few have, but NF7's tend to be a little pickier in terms of what processor and memory you use. The DFI is a much more solid bet. 230-235 is usually about the best you see out of NF7's normally.

I recently had 2 NF7-S boards that maxed out at 215fsb and 210fsb. There are a lot of posts here and the amdforums suggesting that many of the recent NF7-S boards max out right in the 210-220fsb range. I have Corsair 3500c2 ram. I also had two processors. One was a DLTC 1700+ and one was a 2200+. They both gave me the same results. I really think at this point it was the board. These were for customers whom I built computers for. I decided to give my 7 year old my trusty 8RDA+ and the 1700+ that was in it. It has run at 215x11=2365mhz for over a year. I got a DFI Infiinity and a 2600-m. Right now I am priming at 204x12=2455mhz. My idle temp is 32C and my load temp is 39C. Once I see where the chip maxes out I will up the fsb and see what I can get. I think if you want a high fsb your odds are much better with the DFI board. A large precentage of people get real high fsbs.

Thanks for the reply gplracer ...

Looks like the the tally stands at ...

DFI: 3 votes and ABit: 0 votes... ( well when it comes to higher fsbs at least)

Yeah my my goal with this rig is to try to get a nice high fsb between 230-250... and get an output speed of 2.5 to 2.7 ghz....hopefully with a vcore under 1.9... I dont want to burn this processor out to quickly...

Jeez...how did we all forget to welcome you? :D

The Solteks are pretty nice, but they ususually seem to be in the 230 range. Of course, there are always a lucky few above the norm. But with PC4000 memory, you're going to want to run at 250 at a minimum. That is stock for the memory, after all, and high speed modules usually don't like tight timings, so you'd be taking a serious hit running a low fsb.

I had one of the first NF7 revision 2.0's in existence. I got it within its first week of release. These are supposed to be the best ones, yet I got "only" 235 or so out of it, and that was with CPU interface disabled. 250 almost always takes a voltmod with these. The DFI is the way to go.

Jeez...how did we all forget to welcome you? :D
D'OH :bang head .......

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
...and the sickness:eek:

The NF7 isnt a bad board. Its a fantastic board for many pplz, however it isnt for high FSBs (which is wat u are looking for)

Right now my NF7 is priming at 11 x 220. So far so good. Right now I'm waiting for my BH5 from Mushkin. It should be here Tues....then Ill put this puppy to work :bday:!!

Add another vote for the DFI, there great boards and very well rounded in terms of features (great BIOS, good lay out, good for high FSB, etc).

Personally I like the DFI NFII LanBoy Ultra 400 B, the on board sounds card and LAN/internet support is also really good (from both reviews and personal experience with it). No matter what you pick though, DFI makes a solid board so you should be pleased no matter what model you get.

Also Welcome to the forums!

My mobile 2600 and my dfi infinityhave prime 95 going now. I am at 209x12=2508 @1.7v. After 37mins the cpu temp is 39C.

Thanks for all the responses and all the warm welcomes to this forum... i've been lurking for the past couple of weeks,, and decided to finally post...

Looks like I'm leaning towards the DFI Infinity Ultra II so i can get the most out of the PC4000 memory (see sig) I have and try to run it at a high fsb...The only thing worrying is that i read some people were having problems with the HyperX pc4000 and running it in dual channel with the DFI boards is that true..? any inputs would be helpful...

Man I wish i could build it already..the aticipation is killing me

Pic of my empty Lian-li PC75B..waiting for a new motherboard :(
(Wiring kinda messy, was ripping out the old motherboard today)

PC75B1.JPG

PC75B.JPG

PC75B2.JPG

Thats a Lian-Li PC75B....basically a fulltower server case...

On the front I have a Matrix Orbital LCD...to display temps, time, winamp..etc...

Vantec fan contoller in one of the 5.25 drive and fan controller in one of the 3.5 bays.. I use them to control the 6 case fans I have in there and also have control over the CPU heatsink fan and video card fan..nice when i dont want to hear the all the fans at once...

The switches in the 3.5 bay are to control the UV and blue lights i have in there...

Pic of of my towers little brother ... (Shuttle SN41G2B)

Shuttle.JPG

Quite amazing how DFI can just jump into the OC scene and take the crown away from long time veteran like Abit.. Kudos to DFI

Back