• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backing up 160Gig SATA Maxtor..is Norton Ghost best way to go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

Basically I have one hard drive running WinXP Pro on my new box I built..The drive is a Maxtor 160Gig Sata drive...so, w/out getting a NEW drive as a slave or a RAID Setup...

Is Norton Ghost the best way to go for backign up my computer, in case I EVER have to completely reformat or reload WinXP Pro?

Lastly..could someone either explain or direct to a place where I could read about "images"..I don't understand how you can Image a game or even a hard drive or rebuild everything..when the files aren't that big at all...

Thanks

norton ghost is the best way to go if you need EVERYTHING including confguration files ect, i usually just backup the files i neet, game isos, cd keys, saved games, emails ects...

Advantage?

What's the advantage you mentioned about Acronis? in terms of not needing DOS??

Well I am stuck...I like Ghost from what I have heard..but this Acronis seems interesting too.

Are they any features that each has over the other?? In terms of backing up and such?

Last edited:
they both will do the same thing its jsut that I found acronis to be a bit more user friendly. to complete a backup, NOrton has to go into a DOS mode where it does the actual imaging while acronis can do it without leaving windows. I do a backup about 1x a month to a backup drive on my server. Never have had a problem with acronis backing up my main rig over my network to that drive.

Back