• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About ready to trash this ultra infinity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr. Strangelove

Some where in middle America counting crows
For over a week now I've been unable to get this board stable at anything other than optimized defaults. I started out with a DLT3C 1800 juihb 0331 and had absoultly no luck what ever. So I took an unlocked barton 2500 out of my nf7s and swaped the two. The nf7 doesn't care, even with mushkin 222 3200 it took the DLT3C to 2400 on the first try (the barton ran 2400 stable), Stable prime. The ultra constantly reboots either the 2500 or the 1800. I flashed to n24id121 and still have the same problems. Any OC over optimum default results in reboots at any given time. Temps idle are @38c Can't tell what load is cause it reboots before heating up.

2500 Barton 0331 @1.9
3500 mushkin lvl2 @3.1vdimm 2,2,2,6
chipset set @ 1.8
AGP @ 1.6
apic is disabled
50% cpu throttle or disabled (doesn't matter)

Anybody got any ideas?
Anybody know the beep codes? The manual doesn't give hardly any info.

I had all sorts of problems on my infinity too when I first got it, so I grabbed the latest beta bios 1/31 I think and since then its rock solid.

I did just that this morning and flashed N24ID131.bin and the problems are history

New settings are (2500 Barton)
235 fsb x 10 for 2350mhz stable in prime for a couple of hours now. I going to work up to about 250 or so and see what happens
Vcore is 1.9
chip[set 1.9
vdimm 3.2

my temps have not exceeded 42c load so more core should not be a problem. I wish this board would give a little more core.

Cooling is:
CPU - Theralright 947U w/80mm tornado w/ceramique
NorthBridge - ThermalRight NB4 w/ceramique
I took the stock Northbridge cooler, cut polished and with articsilver adhesive attached to the southbridge. The stock southbridge sink felt way to warm. This new arangement seems much cooler to the touch. 6 case fans to keep the air moving.

In a matter of hours I've gone from cursing this board to praising. My NF7S couldn't do this fsb because of the chipset and vdimm voltage limmitation. Abit is losing ground.

Thanks for the suggestion of 1/31

Since that post the beta bios crashed my bios chip and DFI has asked that I return the chip for reprogaming. It will be a week or more for the turn around. Just ordered another Abit NF7s, The DFI will go into my moms duron computer and run at stock speed if it can handle it. My opinion of DFI has fallen from an 8 or 9 to a 1 or 2.

Did you reset the Cmos? I have got Bios checksom errors on my DFI when pushing my overclocks. All I do is do a cmos reset then its fine and back to defaults.

I dunno... these boards seem pretty tempermental, but I tend to think that they're still pretty decent... I never dreamed of 236 FSB on the 8RDA3+... IMO DFI's are mainly having incompatability issues... lots of little bugs still need to be worked out... but I think they're gonna take off soon. My HyperX doesn't run dual channel and a lot of other types of RAM seem to have the problem... single channel runs fine.

BIOS seems to scare me some times... like I flashed the 1/31 beta and then the comp wouldn't restart... I cleared out CMOS and it booted right up... I loaded defaults then it crashed on me... then it was happy... It's been excellent ever since... It gives me much more confidence than the Epox.

Stupid Question , but did you remove the battery when you clear the cmos and let it sit for a few minutes? For some reason you need to remove the battery and let it sit awhile with this mobo.

Also I wouldn't use the cmos reloaded profiles across different bios'. I would start a new profile if i flash the bios.

Battery was removed, power disconnected, cmos jumper reset, memory removed, vid card removed and then sat for 1.5 days. When all was restored, I still got the tone pause tone indicating dram error. the mem was previously swapped with this machine to verify it was good.:(

Back