• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech MCP600 vs. Danner Mag 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silent Buddha

I want to hear your opinions on these two pumps. Is the Swiftech really worth paying $80 instead of the $40 Danner Mag 3? Are they made for 1/2" ID systems? Which is quieter? The MCP600 has greater pressure but it seems the Mag 3 has more gph. Would the 12V psu compatibility of the MCP600 be much more useful than having to buy a relay kit for the Mag 3? I plan on using one of these two for a LAN rig. What about filling and bleeding? Thanks ahead of time for your input :)

I think the mag3 would be easier to fill and bleed. They'd probably push around the same flow througha system.

The mcp600 would be quieter, but neither is loud.

I'd just get the mag3, but I don't have much money, so it depends on the budget.

Silent Buddha said:
I want to hear your opinions on these two pumps. Is the Swiftech really worth paying $80 instead of the $40 Danner Mag 3? Are they made for 1/2" ID systems? Which is quieter? The MCP600 has greater pressure but it seems the Mag 3 has more gph. Would the 12V psu compatibility of the MCP600 be much more useful than having to buy a relay kit for the Mag 3? I plan on using one of these two for a LAN rig. What about filling and bleeding? Thanks ahead of time for your input :)

well once you factor in a relay, and the shipping on the danner (plus barbs), then the price difference pretty much goes away...

the mag3 will give slightly higher flow in pretty much all systems, but at the cost of putting considerably more heat into the water.

mcp600 has 1/2" OD barbs so no prob with 1/2" ID there. mag3 comes with threaded fittings so you just buy barbs of your choice i guess...

cathar has just got an mcp600 and is testing it atm - so far looks good....

Thanks guys. Isn't the Swiftech MCP600 also much smaller than the Danner Mag 3? The ideal system wc'ing system I want would have to fit into a LAN type of case like the Antec Super LAN Boy.

Re: Re: Swiftech MCP600 vs. Danner Mag 3

pauldenton said:

well once you factor in a relay, and the shipping on the danner (plus barbs), then the price difference pretty much goes away...

what? what kind of a relay are you looking at? personally i dont think its necessary, and you'd have to pay shipping for both pumps wouldn't you? the barbs are indeed an extra ~$3 though. i have a mag 3 and i like it. i couldn't justify getting the swiftech.

pqcurves.jpg

Be warned tho, the Mag3 is said to be loud... I'd also worry about the EMI coming off of it, might cause signal corruption in nearby circuits.

i have no complaints about noise from my mag 3. i cant hear it above my fortron 530, but even before i had that, the loudest fan in my system was a 7 volted pananflo 120 H1a and that was even louder than the pump. the sound it emits is very very low and can't be heard over nearly any case fan.

EMI could be an issue, if you have your case sitting right next to your monitor (CRT) , but i have mine on the floor and i have no trouble whatsoever with monitor intereference, and have never heard about EMI interfering with signals on the mobo

Here's my take on the MCP600 vs the Mag3

An important thing to note is that Swiftech have measured the MCP600's PQ curve including some tubing and the pump's fittings. This is actually in contrast to how pumps are normally rated. Pump PQ curves are normally specified assuming totally unrestrictive fittings and no tubing at all.

As such, the PQ curve put out by Swiftech understates the performance of the MCP600 in comparison to the way in which PQ curves are measured by most pump manufacturers.

The reason why pump manufacturers state PQ curves as if they were without any fittings on the pumps is because fittings may be of various sizes/restrictions for a certain pump. By stating a "fitting free" PQ curve, this allows customers to just use a single PQ curve, and then apply an offset based on whatever fittings they've put on the pump.

Swiftech didn't do this though 'cos their pump only comes with 1/2" fittings. So what they put on their site, while truthful and definitely representative of real-world performance, unfortunately cannot be used to compare with the PQ curves of other pumps.

I've made an attempt at correcting the MCP600's PQ curve as part of my ongoing analysis of its characteristics over at OCAU. The PQ curve below is preliminary pending more data:

mcp600-mag3.png

So the Mag3 perform better in yout test? as i see it int the graph the intersections sow that Mag3 is the better choice. Am i right?

As to the question of size, hands down the MCP600 is smaller. Plus, how many complaints have there been, if a search is done, that the MCP600 leaks? Not many at all compared to the Mag3. I have used both, currently the MCP600, and would only recommend the MCP600 between the two. As far as price, yes the Mag3 is cheaper, but you get what you pay for.
Before anyone asks what I did to make the Mag3 leak after only three weeks of use, the question should be what didn't I do. I used plastic barbs not brass. Do a search, I posted a couple of months back on it.
Go with the Swifty, you won't regret it.

Shawn

MameXP said:
So the Mag3 perform better in yout test? as i see it int the graph the intersections sow that Mag3 is the better choice. Am i right?

Yes, the mag3 will perform better than the MCP600, at least that's an estimate with the information that's available today.

Thing is, we need to look at the size of the difference, and it is very small. Small enough to mean around a 0.1C difference at the CPU. For really low restriction setups the flow-rate difference will be larger, but >8-10LPM falls in the realm of diminishing returns for most waterblocks, and so any performance difference between the two pumps as seen at the waterblock would still be fairly minimal.

Even if one created a setup that totally played to the Mag3's strengths, one would still be unlikely to see more than a 0.5C difference at the CPU, and even then, such low-restriction high-flow waterblocks are generally out-performed by higher-restriction designs that closes the gap between the Mag3 and the MCP600 again.

Getting on to the issue of pump heat. The MCP600 will put about 8-9W of heat in the water. The Mag3 I estimate at around 14W given its design. That extra 5W difference at the pump will typically translate into around a 0.2C difference in the water temperature for many setups.

So the Mag3 gains ~0.1C from the higher flow, but loses ~0.2C from the extra pump heat.

i.e. the pumps will provide cooling performance that for the most part is essentially equal when it comes to the temperatures seen on the devices being cooled (CPU, GPU, etc). The differences are terribly minor (~0.1C).

The decision as to which pump to buy will ultimately boil down to which pump provides the additional features that one desires. Noise, voltage supply, barbs, reliability, EMF interference on monitors, etc. The performance difference between the two pumps is of negligible concern.

govern1 said:
Before anyone asks what I did to make the Mag3 leak after only three weeks of use, the question should be what didn't I do. I used plastic barbs not brass.

Crap. I thought if you used plastic instead of brass barbs and didn't over-tighten then the Mag 3 wouldn't leak...:(

As for the Swiftech MCP600, I would like to get it but jumping a psu to fill and bleed seems awfully complicated :(. I would hate having my 19" CRT getting EMI interference from the Mag 3 though...:(

Re: Re: Re: Swiftech MCP600 vs. Danner Mag 3

zip22 said:

what? what kind of a relay are you looking at? personally i dont think its necessary, and you'd have to pay shipping for both pumps wouldn't you? the barbs are indeed an extra ~$3 though. i have a mag 3 and i like it. i couldn't justify getting the swiftech.

the danner isn't sold by any w/cooling suppliers - so you'd need to order it separately (therefpre separate shipping. reefgeeks (who sell it at 39.95) charge about $7 iirc - swiftech can probably be sourced at the same time as other kit, hence no extra shipping.
so with barbs we're at $50
criticool relay is about $28 iirc so we're virtually at the price of the swiftech...

if performance is the deciding factor then iirc the dangerden 12V pump would beat the mag3....

Silent Buddha it's not that difficult to jumps a psu. all u do is stick a paperclip in the green cable of the 20pin connector to any black cable. and there u have a jumped psu

Either that or...if you don't want to jump it, you can get yourself the antec power supply tester for around 13 dollars at fry's if there is one locally near you. You can run a power supply without a mobo and...you can test the voltages in each rail if you got a volt meter. Pretty neat for just 13 bux :)

MCP600 no dobt i mean i love the 12v and i hate having to deal with the realys and stuff.

Back