• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold Boot???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psykoikonov

First off I would like to say that this is ALL on a NFII LP revA(+?).

I never had a problem with making Post until I went from my old DDR333 to my new OCz DDR433. At that time i simply unplugged the old and in with the new and started turning up the fsb. Then it would crash or error in Prime95 and I'd reset cmos and away I go. Then I took it to a friends and could not get it to POST at all and had no extra parts to try (No mem precense detected according to diagnostic lights, #2 lit, #1, #3, #4 off). So I took it home, swapped out new Ram put in old and still nothing. Reset cmos (jumper, not battery). Plugged in new RAM, no POST (dead board with power). Plugged in old RAM and it worked. This has never changed. If I power off computer it's fine...almost everytime :(. If I unplug from wall 99% of time dead board.

The only way to "revive" it is too reset cmos (get to that later :() and reinsert old DDR333. Through trial and error I've found the exact problem is the default of the bios to "by spd" from the RAM. It can't do 100Mhz fsb (default for Barton 2500+) and by spd of 433 on RAM LOL (11:5??) !!!!!!!! When I do get in to bios with DDR333 (and it says fsb 100MHz, Ram 166MHz "by spd" or 3:5) I simply change the "by spd" to 1:1, shut down and power down, but NOT unplug from wall (and the board is called "LanParty" LMAO). Reinstert DDR433 and fix EVERYTHING (man I'm getting good at it now) back to.

211x10.5 2-4-4-11
VCore=1.81V
AGP=1.68V
NB=1.7V
MEM=2.8V

and that is the highest I can get it stable (in games and benches).

So now here's where things go weird. I update my video card driver a couple days ago and booted into safe mode (make sure the old one was gone). Anyway when I restarted it didn't POST :(. After months of running fine the infamous #2 light is lit on board. So I shut down old puter (to thief DDR333) and start the clear sequence which involves as Angry_Games passed along. Move jumper...unplug battery...wait 30 sec...plug battery...move jumper. However this time it didn't clear (I know becuase I change the power down to hold power for 4 secs instead of default of instant). So I try clear cmos for 5 minutes...NOPE. I try 1 hour or so and it worked...WTF. Anyway seems like clearing CMOs is taking longer and longer. And that is my "cold boot" problem on revA :(. I now have built 5 LanParties and Infinities combined and they are some weird boards.

Psyko

Back