• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to jump a psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Busty St. Clair

well i think i'm going with the danger den pump unfortunatatly i have to wait a few months to purchase oh well the pump runs of the psu and when i bleed the system i'll need power so how do u jump a psu

connect the green wire to any black wire, you can use a paperclip if you want, but make sure you have something else on there drawing power on all the rails besides the pump. ex, fans hdds lights..

pins 4 and 6 if the clip is on the top a paper clip or solder (which i use)

so apparently my old psu is weird it only has the 20pin mobo connector with no green wire but i think it's the blue one since on my new psu it has a green wire in place of the blue wire

that bypass you linked to just does what has been said about a paper clip shorting the green and black wires. it wouldn't be worth it IMHO

you can fill and bleed with your computer on if you have a hsf combo on your computer and your wc equipment still hooked up, just without your blocks mounted...

Leave everything as is in your system. Pull the motherboard power connector and use this picture. Your case fans and everything will come on.

M_B_Power_jumper.jpg

but i still haven't gotten an answer y is it that people say to run other stuff a jumped psu like case fans and not just one thing

I believe as long as something is connected (ie your pump) you'll be fine. Just make sure the pump is always on while you have the psu running.

It is possible to buy 13.5vdc or 13.8vdc ("car battery voltage") plug-pack power-supplies rated at about 2A (what I'd recommend as a minimum amperage rating) for around $15US or so.

What this buys you is the ability to run the pump without jumping the ATX PSU, and you get to run the pump at slightly above 12v, buying you yet more performance.

The Swiftech MCP600 when run at 13.5v will match or exceed the Iwaki MD15-R or Danner Mag 3's performance for the sorts of restrictions offered by most people's setups. It's also substantially easier to feed in a thin DC power line into the computer, rather than a thick AC line.

People reccomend having more load on the power rails because otherwise damage may be caused to the PSU without proper loading.

Back