• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What RAM to get with 2.9v vdimm available?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldenTiger

I want to pick up a gig of ram to replace my current stick.. with a $160-180 budget (let me know if something's MUCH BETTER for only $20-40 more or so, might be able to stretch that if I need) what's best to pick up for my rig? I want to run a 200+ FSB speed, the higher the better of course :). Should I stretch my budget thin and go for the Kingston HyperX 1gb Dual Kit PC3000 at newegg which is supposed to be BH-5, or is there a decent alternative I can use instead and keep some change in my pocket for UT2k4 once it's out on Monday? Thanks in advance for your help! My specs are below to help you out :)!

EDIT: Is this RAM good? My BH-5 stick from Buffalo rocked, is CH-5 any good or is it to be avoided? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-150-564&depa=1

Epox 8RDA3+ motherboard

HIS IceQ Radeon 9800 Pro clocked at 430/380(760 DDR)

Mobile Athlon XP 2400+ which runs 2700mhz in a friend's computer (I'm upgrading my PSU to run it at that in mine)

Antec TrueControl 550w PSU (coming in this week)

512mb Buffalo PC3200 BH-5 RAM (moving to another computer when I replace it with my new sticks that you recommend :))

Sound card: onboard

NIC: onboard

CD burner

120gb Maxtor 7200rpm HDD (ATA IDE)

Speakers

LCD screen

Keyboard

Optical Mouse

CH-5 is alright. It won't go as high as BH-5 with tight timings. You could try for the HyperX, but it is not a sure shot for BH-5. Maybe some people here know of a good place to buy it that is likely to have the BH-5 version in stock. If you find PC 2700 Kingston Value RAM with BH-6 at Best Buy or Circuit City then that is the way to go. Most of them overclock well, and they are cheap.

Back