• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT333 support 333MHz FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

I'm confused. Some people say yes. Other say it should but doesn't.

My board is a KT333 Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum and I'm hoping to drop a Barton in it, but the faster bartons run 333MHz fsb.

KT333 chipset MBs are rated at 166mhz FSB or 333mhz FSB.

You might need a BIOS update to support that chip, but you should be ok.

Ok thanks.

EDIT: couldnt find bios update to recognize newer chips and soyo says my model only supports up to 2600+ 233MHz tbreds- no support for any bartons at any fsb. That's messed up... If it only supports 133MHz fsb then why is it a KT333, it should be labeled KT266. GRRR...

Last edited:
But Via already had a KT266.
Same thing with the KT133, it could only do 100 MHz FSB, maybe up to 112 if you pushed it. It took the KT133A to get to 133/266 FSB.

The 333 support seems to vary from one manufacturer to another, and on the revision of the motherboard.

Getting the 1/5 divisor to kick in was effortless with my 8K3A+. There are a few makes and models out there where you have to jump through hoops to try and get it to 166/66/33 (and some where it isn't possible at all).

I'm planning on trying a mobile Barton in my 8K3A+. Support is not a sure thing. But I'm confident I can make it work.

You may want to some more searching to see if anyone else has experimented with a Barton in your motherboard.

Well there was a post in the SOYO room (cant find it now) that discussed this very issue. One person said he got it to work with my model at 166/333FSB and the other said it works but is stuck at 133/266FSB speeds. But no bios update that soyo offers for that model will give me 166/333FSB speed.

I wish via would set a standard. If it's a KT333 chipset, it should run 333 memory and it should run 333 processors.

If anyone has a 333FSB chip running in my model motherboard, can you please post what bios version you have, or what steps you did if any to make it work?

Thanks...

no the dragon kt333 wont run @ 333 fsb for cpu,that just indecates the max memory speed i.e. pc2700.i have a dragon lite and could not run it past about 152 fsb.

The KT333 Chipset could do 166FSB sync'ed but it was unofficial. Like 133 on the BX. It was there but it was unofficial so it was up to certain motherboard manufactures to impliment it. Epox and Abit made it easy. Asus had it working on some but it was glitchy on others. Gigabyte made it a big secret.

If you really want to run a barton get a mobile. You'll be able to use 266 and just change the mults to get higher speeds.

BACK FROM THE DEAD!

Picked up an Athlon 3200+(AXDA3200DKV4E) from a rubbish pile. Basically, the board runs the chip stock at 133x11(1463) and recognises it as an Athlon 1700+. OC on this board is shady at best. I can run the memory at 166 no problem but if I try to mess with cpu frequency or multiplier it hangs.

Just wondering if, after all these years, anyone figured this Soyo kt333/barton combo out?

BACK FROM THE DEAD!

Picked up an Athlon 3200+(AXDA3200DKV4E) from a rubbish pile. Basically, the board runs the chip stock at 133x11(1463) and recognises it as an Athlon 1700+. OC on this board is shady at best. I can run the memory at 166 no problem but if I try to mess with cpu frequency or multiplier it hangs.

Just wondering if, after all these years, anyone figured this Soyo kt333/barton combo out?

what are you trying to do? run it at stock settings or overclock?
those bartons don't overclock well without too much cooling and volting because they run hot already, and the margins are not great at best.

It can still be a fast older generation system. if you had better fsb support. It just looks like your fsb is not working @ 200, maybe look into the manufactor website for bios update because bartons were not really supported by a lot of boards.
edit:sorry I didn't read all of the thread, it seems via had a reputation of not supporting cpu's at the chipset's ram speed. so you are s.o.l.
alternatively I don't think there is too much of a problem to run this at 133x16.5=2195.4 but i'm not sure if that system would post. (cuz of unrecognized cpu name and high multi)

there are barton core multiplier unlock guides out there, and pin modding to force a multiplier but it seems like a lot of work(stick speaker wire into the sockets to link pins). you can also manually mod a fsb speed of 166 to test it out. I think the board doesn't recognize 2200 mhz 200x11, since it doesn't seem to natively support 166 or 200 fsb it will default to 100 or maybe 133.

if you can salvage a mobile barton chip, the multipliers are unlocked and they run cooler(can handle undervolting) as well as an nforce2 chipset motherboard because that was the best oc platform for bartons. if you see any old nf2 boards let me know.

I know this is like a thread revival but lets not delete or close this one because people are still having problems.

oh just for kicks at 2300 mhz my half life 2 games were saying I was running a 3.6 ghz system. funny. with my barton. (2800 xpm) stock mobile voltage whatever that was.

Last edited:
what are you trying to do? run it at stock settings or overclock?
those bartons don't overclock well without too much cooling and volting because they run hot already, and the margins are not great at best.

edit:sorry I didn't read all of the thread, it seems via had a reputation of not supporting cpu's at the chipset's ram speed. so you are s.o.l.
alternatively I don't think there is too much of a problem to run this at 133x16.5=2195.4 but i'm not sure if that system would post. (cuz of unrecognized cpu name and high multi)

there are barton core multiplier unlock guides out there, and pin modding to force a multiplier but it seems like a lot of work(stick speaker wire into the sockets to link pins). you can also manually mod a fsb speed of 166 to test it out. I think the board doesn't recognize 2200 mhz 200x11, since it doesn't seem to natively support 166 or 200 fsb it will default to 100 or maybe 133.

Thanks for the reply! That Barton I found gave me the idea to revive the comp - I've been wanting to play some Tribes 2! :beer:

You're right about the board. The native CPU clock is 133 but the memory clock can run at 133 or 166. I'm basically just attempting to run the chip at the speeds it should be running at on a board that fully supports it - 2200 mhz. I can set the board's cpu frequency to 166 or even 200 but it doesn't post. The highest multiplier is 12.5 and it won't even post if I set it that with the the stock 133mhz! The highest I was able to rate it was 140 but it didn't boot into windows.

As it runs now, it's slower than the 1800+ Palomino I had in there originally (from when I bought it way back in 2002 - I put a 2100+ T-Bred in it a year later or so, but sold it).

Edit: Oh, I have what I think is the latest BIOS update but SOYO went bankrupt so I have no way to find out I guess. (2AA9 bios)

Last edited:
There's no benefit to running your CPU and memory asynchronously on this platform - make sure you set your memory to 133 when you overclock. Doing otherwise will stress the northbridge. The multiplier is locked (I think) on the Barton, so setting it to something other than stock will probably cause the system not to post.

Pin mods aren't that bad, though they're a little weird. Try a 166MHz pin mod if all else fails. I would try setting the memory to 133 and upping the FSB first. You'll have to give the chip a pretty good voltage boost.

I did some further testing and I did have to force the memory at 133 to get any results. I was able to post at 152mhz but not get into windows. The highest I could set it to get into windows (stable) was 140.

What's the safest, highest voltage for that chip?

I did some further testing and I did have to force the memory at 133 to get any results. I was able to post at 152mhz but not get into windows. The highest I could set it to get into windows (stable) was 140.

What's the safest, highest voltage for that chip?

Personally I never felt comfortable with more then 1.75v in my Bartons, that was with air cooling. With water and extreme cooling I believe there were people running upwards of 1.9-2.0v for suicide runs. My older epox board supported 2.2v to the cpu in the BIOS, I don't know about that with a Barton. :eek:

^ Yeah, that's about right. I ran around 1.95v on water with a T-Bred, and it should be close to that for a Barton.

They're pretty sturdy. Just crank up the voltage and keep an eye on the temps.

Remember that your FSB is tied to your memory. You might want to relax your timings (2.5-3-3-7) to make sure memory isn't the problem. Memtest 86+ will help you check your memory as well.

I originally had three 512mb sticks (pc3200) in there, but dropped to just two matched dual channel pair (I know the kt333 doesn't support dual channel) to try to ease the process.

I'm actually also struggling on my current socket 939 board with the dual channel limitation (4 double sided sticks in dual channel mode only run at 333, not full 400 due to the chipset.) The 2gb dual channel with xubuntu 9.10 64-bit runs quite well though.

I think it's time to sell off everything towards a new quad-core rig..

I think it's time to sell off everything towards a new quad-core rig..
Socket 775 stuff is pretty cheap now - a lot of people are selling stuff off to go i7 or i5. Getting a Core2Duo or Quad would be a big upgrade.

Socket 775 stuff is pretty cheap now - a lot of people are selling stuff off to go i7 or i5. Getting a Core2Duo or Quad would be a big upgrade.

Thanks for the advice and for your input earlier. I'll check ebay and newegg later.

you don't need any more cpu voltage for fsb uping until after you go over 200 mhz for the chip. that chip's default is 200 fsb 11 multi.(locked as in you can't change it except fsb) the 152 fsb ceiling is because of your board fsb limits.

I think what johan851 said about multiplier locked being the culprit for not booting at 12.5 is right. In that case you can try to find a barton L2 bridge or whatever they call it bridge unlock guide to unlock your muti's then you can try 12.5 and it will work.
I heard some bartons are super locked meaning its impossible to draw the connection back with pencil to unlock. this would be a good site if you have a compatible chip
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop/socketa/tbred_painting.html
I got my pin mod pictures from there.

but yeah if you can upgrade then go straight ahead to lga775 if you can.
I can't because I like the way my old os is setup and I think I need a pata compatible system so I can format my ps2's harddrives. I also got some old hardware.
choose one from here pick something with low ratio and see reviews for overclocks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CPU_power_dissipation#Core_2

personally though I didn't like the quad core(q6600) lga775 because of 125 tdp(don't quote me on this, I just remember that number).anything near 100 is kind of hot. that needs some leet cooling. you can probably avoid that one by going with a 2 core chip or maybe there are other more expensive quad cores with less tdp.

I learned a lot from socket A462 system; tdp to ghz ratio(usually means potential oc), fsb, multi, ram fsb async, volt. i didn't know how to overclock until i needed a replacement cpu few years ago and decided on an overclocker.

Last edited:
Back