• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP wont recognize USB devices - please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrMarbles

Today, I moved my computer and tried to connect it to a wireless network (Linksys) connected through a USB device. For some reason, though, my computer doesnt recognize it. No "New Hardware Detected" or anything. Rebooted several times. Tried my digital camera and it doesnt recognize it either. The last time that can remember using my USB ports was a long time when I hooked up my scanner, worked fine then. The only things that I can think of that could affect USB was installing SP1 and disabling some services but I enable all the services I thought were relevant, though I could have missed something.

So anyway, anyone have any clue why my computer doesnt recognize any USB devices? I tried different hubs, both in the back and the front.

i had the same problem with hooking up my brother's mp3 player.

i just had to reinstall all the drivers for the device, and it works fine now

strangly, it wont even let me do that

I go to the add hardware manager, go through it, have your own disk blah blah, naviage to the driver folder, click "ok" but the "next" button is grayed out, so I cannot go on. weird

do the automatic update. it should connect to a download site and let you install the drivers. or it ll search the disk itself and find the drivers for you, requiring minimum prompting from you. thats how it worked for me

doubt it will work .. it notifies me if there are any critical updates (I guess it could be noncritical) and I disconneced it just today and there werent any. This USB device was supposed to be my internet connection so its offline right now. Id have to move it downstairs to connect it again, argh!

well I got that problem solved.. but now I have another one

when I try to install the driver for the USB device, right when it is about to finish I get an error message saying "Access is denied"

This is really strange and I have no idea why this is happening. I have admin privileges and everything.

Back