• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD is stupid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkp0lice

Ok, so mobile bartons are doing very well, I'm guessing at least 2.6Ghz with ~1.7vcore? Why don't they take these chips 'n brand them as XP3400+?? Make A LOT more profit that way... sell them for less than 1/2 the price of a P4 3.4C.

I doubt even the high end XP3200+ bartons can OC as well as these mobile monsters... Yet they're being sold dirt cheap. AMD could just package a bigger HSF with the retail packages 'n run them @ stock vcore of 1.6v or something. I don't get it.

Ya, i know this would be bad for overclockers, but I'm talking from a purely business standpoint.

Sentential said:

#1 They dont sell alot of 3200+

#2 They have officially ended the XP line of chips. They want pplz to by 64s

1) Cuz the prices are too high, but if they brand mobile chips as XP3200+ or XP3400+ and sell them for maybe $20 more than current mobile prices, everyone would buy..

2) Bartons are gonna stay until end of this year at least, A64 won't be consuming all of AMD's production facillities until middle of 2005.

Think about it, what would the average joe buy, an XP3200+ for ~$130 or a P4 3.2Ghz for ~$285...

If AMD did what i'm saying, Intel would be running to it's mommy..

Do ALL mobile chips run at that speed? Probably not. They are rated at the speed that they are for a reason. Maybe a lot of them can overclock to 2.6Ghz, but there will be one or a couple out of the batch that cant, and what will that do for AMD's name, when their procs dont work at their rated speed?

- Awperator

Not to mention when they burn out because of improper cooling or don't work at all because people don't (or can't) mess around with the BIOS and change the multipliers/Vcore. On top of that, there's a small warranty issue; ie when joe schmoe burns his new chip and calls to get a replacement/refund and then never buys AMD again...

Correct me if im wrong but Amd has had Big money problems for a long time right? And ill be damned if i know how to get them out of em.

Lowering prices seems like a good idea to the average person
to try and regain some lost revenue hoping for more sales but
they cant give a away a an xp3200 for $100 because of the fact that therse an old saying?"you get what you pay for"and if all the people in best buy or comp usa saw an Xp3200 for the price of a 2500 they would be suspicious and not buy it.especially all the DEll lovers who think that the p4 is the best @ no matter what the price!

Ask any business man and he'll tell you, you have to keep your prices in competition with your opposition. Or else your product loses value and credibility.

Most of the people that use computers can barely get past the turning it on point. The enthusiast crowd is actually pretty small. Anyone that's not an enthusiast or a professional probably won't see a differance between a barton 2500+ and a 3200+. They'll just see the price and not know what the other numbers mean.

Intel's reputation in the mainstream market is huge. If someone wants a cheapo system they might build it with an amd 2500+ or a thoroughbred. If they want a high end, expensive system they'll look at the price of a pentium 3.2 and an athlon 3200+ and wonder why the 3200+ is cheaper. Then they'll buy the pentium. You can throw benchmarks, statistics and numbers at the average person all day but usually they won't be able to follow you. Either they want a cheapo system that can do whatever they need or they want a high end system and they have it in their head that they have to pay more to get more.

I just built a system for my dad about 6 months ago. The first thing he asked me when I started picking stuff out was "what's an amd?". He also wanted to know why I wasn't building him a pentium. I work part time in a computer store. Selling people on AMD can be really hard (especially when you can't use technical jargon). Even if they want a cheap system.

It will take a lot of work and marketing on amd's part to catch up to intel (I don't think they ever will with the AMD logo). It's kind of like Starbucks. It's not that it's better coffee....It's just been so heavily marketed and they've earned such a reputation that you could put **** in a Starbucks cup and people would still pay $3.00 for it.

hkp0lice said:
Think about it, what would the average joe buy, an XP3200+ for ~$130 or a P4 3.2Ghz for ~$285...
This is the problem right here.... Joe would buy the Intel solution because it is what Joe knows. Joe knows from the adds that Intel is good and fast and his son liltle Joe knows that Intel is good because the P4 logo is on all the game boxes. So when Joe goes to the BB and the idiot salesmen says, "Intel is good" because it they are more expensive and he makes more of a commison, the Joe thinks Intel is the bst, because the guy at BB should know. Or when Joe calls up Dell and orders a PC whats he gonna get.... a Intel because Dell doesn't sell AMDs.

JUST BE QUIET im still buying them.are you trying to get amd to read this and charge me more?

To a very large portion of America AMD might as well be ‘brand-X’ because the reality is, as most have already stated, AMD is just an off brand to the average Joe walking the street.

For as much as I love computers and O\C I’ve come to realize something, 4 – 5 years ago when everyone was freaking out over computers taking jobs away from factory works and office workers (most of whom entered the job market 20 years to late for that to be much of an argument, go figure) and the buzz word of the time was IT only a small percentage of the US really took notice. Sure a lot of people argued about jobs and such, and a ton of people went and jumped into some sort of school to get a little PC knowledge under there belt but the reality is companies like Dell, Gateway, and other per-built computer makers thrived during that time.

Why is that? Because though it all the vast majority of people just say that PC’s where coming so they bough them the same way they’d buy a TV, they check the specs and compared them to the model that was just above there price range and if those two numbers where sort of the same then they where happy. They managed to find something they could afford that should perform just like the model they couldn’t afford, because you know the little numbers on the display cards where almost alike.

About 2 years ago, give or take, I had a friend working in CompUSA who was ordered by the store manager to setup all the PC’s in the back like this:

-Markers banner-
Left side - Model #1 (the high end model)
Middle – Model #2 (the upgraded standard model)
Right side – Model #3 (the budget model)

The thinking behind all of this? First off, you read left to right so thus its nature to scan a crowd of people, or a crowed store shelf left to right. Secondly by only having 3 models on display you gave the buyer a real simple and easy cross section of this maker’s computer and you did it in terms the buyer could under stand (Best to worse). The last was to get the buyer to feel like they made the choice themselves, no one wants to have some salesmen they don’t know just pick a PC from a random grouping and say ‘this one is for you!’, but if you pick it yourself then obviously it’s the right one for you no?

*shrug* what can I say, it’s a dumb trap but it’s been proven so effective by large per-build computer markers bottom lines.

That's the cost they paid for saving the time on doing a little research on what they are going to get. That is why we have something like 9600XT vs 5600XT
Or 9600SE/5600SE (is better than plain 9600/5600) sounds like Windows98 SE.

Artyboy said:
Most of the people that use computers can barely get past the turning it on point. The enthusiast crowd is actually pretty small. Anyone that's not an enthusiast or a professional probably won't see a differance between a barton 2500+ and a 3200+. They'll just see the price and not know what the other numbers mean.

Intel's reputation in the mainstream market is huge. If someone wants a cheapo system they might build it with an amd 2500+ or a thoroughbred. If they want a high end, expensive system they'll look at the price of a pentium 3.2 and an athlon 3200+ and wonder why the 3200+ is cheaper. Then they'll buy the pentium. You can throw benchmarks, statistics and numbers at the average person all day but usually they won't be able to follow you. Either they want a cheapo system that can do whatever they need or they want a high end system and they have it in their head that they have to pay more to get more.

I just built a system for my dad about 6 months ago. The first thing he asked me when I started picking stuff out was "what's an amd?". He also wanted to know why I wasn't building him a pentium. I work part time in a computer store. Selling people on AMD can be really hard (especially when you can't use technical jargon). Even if they want a cheap system.

It will take a lot of work and marketing on amd's part to catch up to intel (I don't think they ever will with the AMD logo). It's kind of like Starbucks. It's not that it's better coffee....It's just been so heavily marketed and they've earned such a reputation that you could put **** in a Starbucks cup and people would still pay $3.00 for it.

couldn't have put it better myself, ditto

Being an AMD fan in these times reminds me very much of being an Amiga fan in the early 90s. 1st off you wonder what the hell is up with the marketing dept that they can't seem to get any recognition for a superior product. 2ndly you see them abandoning the lower end enthusiast users who've been their bread and butter for years and wonder wth is up with their marketing department.

In conclusion I think AMD must have somehow cloned Commodores early 90s marketing department.

Road Warrior

Ok, so mobile bartons are doing very well, I'm guessing at least 2.6Ghz with ~1.7vcore? Why don't they take these chips 'n brand them as XP3400+?? Make A LOT more profit that way... sell them for less than 1/2 the price of a P4 3.4C.

There's a huge difference between an SLK948U with a Tornado than with an AMD stock heatsink. I'd doubt that AMD would be able to turn out reliable enough yields to release even a 2.4GHz stock processor. Remember, most overclockers tend to ride on the bridge of stability. Turn that fan down a couple of notches, or come summer, and you see overclocks plummeting quite often. For a processor to run at a certain speed at stock, it goes through far more vigorous testing than what we'd put a processor through. To meet the specifications of the white papers, they need to run stable at up to 90 C. AMD probably realizes the potential of their processors, but in order to sell a product to the public, it must be rock hard stable, and maintaining that while getting to high speeds with cheap cooling and high temperatures is quite impossible.

RoadWarrior said:
Being an AMD fan in these times reminds me very much of being an Amiga fan in the early 90s. 1st off you wonder what the hell is up with the marketing dept that they can't seem to get any recognition for a superior product. 2ndly you see them abandoning the lower end enthusiast users who've been their bread and butter for years and wonder wth is up with their marketing department.

In conclusion I think AMD must have somehow cloned Commodores early 90s marketing department.

Road Warrior

AMD is doing better though, the low end consumers were not their bread and butter, because those chips literally make zero profit... considering that most CPU cores are nearly identical... a barton is a barton and some are sold for more because they pass a better quality check... in reality the only money is in higher end chips... we're just here to spread the name of AMD... And we should be less worried since as of late AMD has actually made money... if this year goes well they will be doing much better.

It's just like Gas at a convenience store... they make mere pennies on a gallon if not a loss... Contrary to popular belief, selling gas is not a lucrative business, the gas is just there to get customers to the store.

hkp0lice said:

2) Bartons are gonna stay until end of this year at least, A64 won't be consuming all of AMD's production facillities until middle of 2005.

uhh...no. They are still making XP1800's, those aren't bartons. I built my friend a new computer, bought an 1800 JIZI or JIZUB...hit 2.5 with a SLK900A load temps of 47C......and the week was fourth week of 2004.

They're still gonna make bartons even when 949 comes out, cause the majority of the processors sold aren't going to be A64. They'll be bartons.

Back