• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reinstall windoze fast & dirty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mayagrafix

Windows broke down on my box with a RAID array. I dont look forward to reformating 200 gigs and reinstalling. So I added another small HD and installed windows there; the RAID HD setup shows up fine and is not the problem.

Can I just copy the newly installed windoze from the small HD to the RAID HD?

Ultimately I will take the other small HD off and just leave the RAID HD.

you can but i'm not your man for ghosting stuff but if you use partion magic (and I think partiton manager works too) you can create new lets say 10GB partition without losing your files! seriously it can do it and then you can install windows there again if you want to

cheers :)

Thanks fadirocks. I decided to leave the smaller HD installed with the OS all by itself and left all my apps and docs on the RAID 0 array. Believe it or not. I have seen a solid performance increase with this set up!

If you are sure that your drives don't have any bad sectors you can go to manage frm my computer and select the two drives that are in raid and formate using quick but you can also select 16k stipe size instead of 4 thay you would get using the cd. Now you remove the sml drive and set up the raid as primary and reboot using the cd but when it asks you to format just select change nothing use current settings.

Okay... but whats the advantage of 16k stripe over 4k stripe? does this mean that the sectors on the drive hold more info? (16k vs 4k)

what kind of raid? If it was a mirror can't you just reverse sync the mirror? Assuming that a hardware error goofed your windows. If its a software error that the same bad data would be there.

Back