• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think its worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

been reading this thread a lot lately about these mobile bartons for overclocking. they look REALLY promising, and im once again reminded how much i did like my 2500+. im sure that pound for pound, it would outperform my 2100+ easily at the same speed, and these mobile bartons are able to go even higher than my tbred...

sooo. I wonder, its kind of a lot of money for not very much, but i need another system soonish anyway for a server, surely a tbred 2100 is wicked overkill for this job, but would it be worthwhile to buy one of these mobile bartons, when this tbred has already proven itself stable at 2500?
I dont plan to buy another setup untill pci-e is mature and graphics cards, raid controllers, audio and pretty much everything for the platform is mature and native. so this box will have to hold me for at least a year and a half.

keeping in mind that i want another little corner box for web site upkeep and basic file storage, maybe some light multimedia via tvout, would a mobile barton be worthwhile to upgrade to, or should i just stick with what i have now, and get a duron 1300 for my second box?

Well if your T-Bred is really stable at 2500mhz, you are only going to pick up a few hundred mhz. So need to decide if it is worth it or not. When I upgraded, I was able to pick up around 400mhz, so it was deffinalty worth my while. Plus I had my old chip for some time, so I was due for something fresher.

I think better ram should be my next buy... sounds really wrong conisdering i JUST BAUGHT this OCZ. coming from micron pc 2700, it was a huge improvment. my fsb went from 172-200 mhz in a single shot, and from 2.5, 3,3, 7 to 2, 2,3,7.

I almost wish i had waited though. the mushkin memory is available at ncix in vancouver, and the benefit of dual channel ddr is probably lost to this little amd. so a single stick of that mushkin lv 2 black 3500 would probably be better than my two sticks of ocz.

interesting though... my barton 2500+ at stock almost did better in some cases than this tbred has done at my more commonly used 2000 mhz. the cache would really benefit me in real time art work and probably a little bit in games too. so a mobile barton at 2600 mhz, which seems expected of these things, really seems like a worthwhile investment as something that will have to last untill.... 2005 sometime.

Are there any new developments in ddr expected soon that i should maybe wait on? Im not sure if this thing will hit a higher fsb than 200, should i try it in single channel mode to see how high it will go at its stock timings? 2,2,3,7 seems resonable up to 210, but the memory will crap out even at 2.9 volts. IN 5/4 the system will successfully boot at 231 mhz fsb, if this would run with 1-1, i would have a lot of oc headroom. especially going to water in the coming months.

I should try my memory out and see what its limits are.

Back