• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After login, XP takes 3-5 minuets to load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mord

After login, XP takes 3-5 minuets to load. It says "loading you personal settings" or some thing similiar, then refreshes to show my desktop, then 3-5 mins later the windows taskbar etc finaly appear.

Whats up with it? its only a recent occurence.

You probably loaded a program like an office program that loads at startup? Once your in windows go to programs, startup and see if there's anything there. Alot of office type programs and others that have quickstarts down in the lower corner of your screen will cause this kind of a problem.

i had a similar problem with this. my startup folder was empty also. never figured it out. thought it was possibly spyware. i reformatted and now its back to normal. i read somewhere it might have to deal with your network settings.

go to Start/Run/ type in Msconfig then go to start up and uncheck everything except virus scanners or whatever then restart....u also might have to defrag

hmmm...

One of my friends had this problem too...
You see, she had Norton anti-virus and after recieveing an update to her LiveUpdate software, her computer would hang unexpectedly after logging in. I read an article from one of my buddies in the AV business and he told me there was an issue that would cause Office XP (mainly Word) to crash and cause some problems with logging into Windows XP.
If you have a program that uses Norton's Live update, I would check that out first before you reformat anything

Re: hmmm...

dark_15 said:
One of my friends had this problem too...
You see, she had Norton anti-virus and after recieveing an update to her LiveUpdate software, her computer would hang unexpectedly after logging in. I read an article from one of my buddies in the AV business and he told me there was an issue that would cause Office XP (mainly Word) to crash and cause some problems with logging into Windows XP.
If you have a program that uses Norton's Live update, I would check that out first before you reformat anything

sorry to threadjack, but that would explain my problem :(

Back