• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Losing stability in time ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBH

Is it possible for a cpu to become less stable and less ocable over a period of time (weeks, months......) ?

Yes it is possible. With how hot CPU's get today the metals they use and the silicone they use in the CPU tend to break down faster from the heat and very stressed use from the speed. As the material wears down so will the stability. It's basically the same concept as the engine in your car.

and this is true for the mobo too? (the chipset wears down?)

Interestingly, hitechjb1 does not think it is possible for this to happen within weeks or months due to high voltage:

4. Highest attainable stable Overclock cannot be reduced within months provided on die CPU temperature is kept under 65 C, however:

5. CPU weak spots not discovered during manufacturing stress tests may lead to permanent failure sooner than average.

1. Increase of 60 MHz at the expense of increasing 0.2 volts is not recommended.

2. Assuming expected CPU life time is 10 years, 30% overvolt statistically reduces it to six years.

3. 30% overvolt for DLT3C's is 1.95 volts and for Bartons and DUT3C T-Breds, about 2.1 volts. (Remember to keep the on die CPU temperature under 65 C.)

4. Highest attainable stable Overclock cannot be reduced within months provided on die CPU temperature is kept under 65 C, however:

5. CPU weak spots not discovered during manufacturing stress tests may lead to permanent failure sooner than average:

hitechjb1 said:
A 10% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 83% of nominal failure time.
A 20% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 69% of nominal failure time.
A 30% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 59% of nominal failure time.
A 50% increase in Vcore, would shorten the failure time to 44% of nominal failure time.

Nominal failure time is assumed to be 10 years at default voltage.

I am interested in this topic as well cos I heard that ocings through upping vcore are for those who will change rig after 9 months.
Since I'm ocing with vcore upped to 1.8 from 1.65, and since I wish my cpu will last more than 1.5years (that is till the 3rd quarter of 2005), I would like to know more too. :)

Aeon Flux said:
Yes it is possible. With how hot CPU's get today the metals they use and the silicone they use in the CPU tend to break down faster from the heat and very stressed use from the speed. As the material wears down so will the stability. It's basically the same concept as the engine in your car.

Well not quite like that, but the end result is the same... high voltage means more temperature variances, if the CPU expands and contracts too fast too many times it will eventually break a trace rendering it unstable or Dead. It is just like bending a paper clip back and forth until it breaks... and you will notice that this action dissipates heat.

Remember that the electrons move along the outside of the traces, not inside them... it's more like a road rather than a pipe.

my cpu will last about 7 years i only want it to last 2years :( lol

OC550 has lost a stable overclock due to high voltage running at 2.2V and 2V, i personally wouldnt go over 1.85V without good water cooling or a prommy :)

Don't forget that lower temperatures are required to sustain an overclock at higher voltages. The 65C figure is highly variable.

Also from hitechjb1
- A CPU can run stably at a much higher temperature (e.g. 60+ C), at a lower Vcore and lower frequency (e.g. 1.4 – 1.6 V, 2.2 - 2.3 GHz for Tbred B/Barton) than its intrinsic ideal max frequency.
- A CPU needs a much lower temperature (e.g. under 30 - 45 C on air or even lower for extreme cooling) to run stably at high Vcore for sustaining a higher overclocking frequency (e.g. 1.8 – 2.0+ V, 2.5 – 3.0+ GHz).

Back