• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP performance tweaks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishD

Hi all,
Im currently in the midst of the dance to windows XP, from 98se and have it up and running, but not as I would like. Some hardware issues with HID devices which im chasing on a different thread.

However i'm somewhat disappointed with what i consider to be a significant performance degredation compared with 98. Since my main interest in in flight sims, this it very important and noticable.

I was able to get a comfortable 6500 in 3dmark3003. now with same settings only get 5900. Also noticed a huge difference in the CPU speeds. Am using the current video drivers, and version is the same as for the 9x version.

I know that XP provides much more stabiity, and this is probably gonna be the trade off, but is there anything which i should be looking at to improve the performance. Maybe there's a thread for XP perfommance tweaks. I could not find one.

(my favourite sim, F4 suffers really badly, and was running smooth as glass. Now it moves along in small steps).

Thanks

Back