• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do the terms BH-5 and BH-6 mean?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The terms "BH5" and "BH6" refer to a type of memory module produced by Winbond for memory. These chips are able to run very tight timings (2-2-2-X) while still running at a fairly high FSB. There is currently no chip on the market that is able to match the combonation of High FSB/Low Latency as BH5/6 does. Why did they stop producing it if its so great? Cost. The cost of making BH5/6 modules is much higher than that of Winbond's current CH5 chips (which can still run high FSB's, just with higher latencies). So, like most companies would do, Winbond cut out the more expensive line and mass produced the cheaper stuff.

There have been rumors about Winbond releasing another BH5-esque modules (some say it would be called "BH4"). However, there hasnt been any official word on that.

Thank you for the information...I have found that it is difficult to see what Typer of memory is used on banks of RAM that you find for sale on the net. anyone have any ideas on how to determine this short of calling the company which will probably not be able to answer that question anyways?

Many websites that sell memory list the timings on their sites. If the site lists that a module has 2-2-2-6 timings, then it is most likely BH5/6. Anything other than that has some other type of chip in it. Beware though, some sites list that some modules can run 2-2-2-6 timings, yet they cant. Right now, the only retal modules available on the market new retail with BH5/6 are

Kingston HyperX PC3000 (BH5, some people have gotten CH5 in these though)
Kingston HyperX PC3200 Non-A (BH5)
Mushkin 2-2-2 Special (BH6)
OCZ Platinum Ltd. Edition (BH6)

(I believe that some Patriot modules have BH5, but I'm not sure about that)

Back