• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it necessary to have a shim for an amd cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No shims are not nessesary... basically you dont need em.....

Dont think any mobos will let your run SD and DDR at the same time if thats what your asking

You can use shims on an AMD CPU...but make sure that the shim is designed for that particular core. ThermalTake's CPU shims are not designed for use with Barton cores, so be careful.

There is a PC Chips El Cheapo board out there that supports both SDRAM and DDR-SDRAM, but they cannot be used simultaneously.

Also, be aware of the fact that shims will increase the operating temperature of the processor. I would say just forget about getting a shim, and just be careful and use common sense when installing the CPU cooler.

The only board that I know of which supports DDR and SDRAM is the ECS K7S5A Pro. However, you can only use one of the other at any given time.

theres also the ecs k7ama you could get off ebay for 20bucks buy it now because i got one then all you would have to do is flash the bios to a newer one and it suports up to 2600+ tbred but still cant use both memory at the same time i dont think anyone makes one that does that

get the hsf that will use the four holes surrounding the cpu socket on the mobo, or the mounting mechanism like HHC-001 from coolermaster.

Another thing about the ECS board (if it's the same one I had set up about a year ago-don't remember the model #) is that the board underclocks the processor when not using DDR ram. I had ax XP2000 in it, tried it with SDRAM and it showed up as running at only 1200 Mhz. Being curious, I tried it with an XP2500 and an old Athlon 1Ghz. It underclocked all of them by roughly 30%. It didn't do it on any of the CPUs while running DDR ram. Needless to say, I sold it. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

D

Back