• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

zip tie a fan to heatercore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Busty St. Clair

when i get my parts i'm too lazy to make a shroud and i don't want to buy one so would it be okay if i just zip tie the fans directly onto the heatercore

Lazy works..But go buy a glad container at the local supermarket so the fan sits above the core and ya dont have a dead spot on the rad core...

Thats an excellent rule of thumb! You can also go to home depot or lowes and pick up some sheet metal (the cheap stuff roofers use around the base of a chimney and whatnot). Then make a prototype of the following template on a piece of paper or cardboard:

shrowd.PNG

Cut on black lines, bend on pink. White is the material, and blue is background. Once you get the right form, apply that prototype to the sheet metal and cut away. Prime it and spreypaint it the color of your heatercore. When they are finished it looks rather professional for a cheap and easy mod.

Then use the thin window insulator foam strips between the fan and the shroud, and the shroud and the heatercore, and the heatercore and the case. You can also use it as padding for your pump or heatercore to sit on in your case. This prevents a heck of a lot of vibration noise. (found at hardware stores for a buck or two, use the rest on your windows or doors in your house ;)).

To attach everything together, I ran 4 long zipties starting from the fan, through the shroud, through the heatercore, and through the case chassis. Then I used the ends of 4 extra zipties to attatch them to the case, and ensured they were tight. This is the cheap, ghetto, but effective way to make sure everything is secure together.

zipties.PNG

The gladware shroud is much easier, but it looks too much like a gladware container in the end :D.

Back