• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64, 3000/3200, or convince me to wait.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nefariouslogic

I have 1000 bucks to spend on a new box minus case and psu for now. I am definitely going sata raid 0 (effectively 160GB) for 170 bucks, 9800Pro for 330 (an asus model), and depending on the processor (whether I wait or not) the mobo will be an Abit Kv8-Max3.
I do not particularily wish to wait for a socket 939, as it will be another 2 months before anyone can convince me their motherboard is the best one. I am more likely to wait for this new stepping revision in the 754s provided someone comes up with proof that it will be incorporated in the lower 754s without a significant price hike. (I couldn't find anything useful)
I am leaning toward the 3200 for the extra 256k cache. But I will not spend over 300 on the processor alone. (in essence, no 3400 suggestions).
Thanks, Max

definatly wait for the NF3 250. It should be a lil bit faster, have PCI/AGP lock, integrated SATA, 1gbps LAN, USB 2 and all the goodies.
By then maybe the CG stepping will hit the lower rank of the chips.
It shouldn't take the 3200+ very long to get this stepping. and as the OPN code is different than a regular chip, it won't be that hard to tell the difference between the new and the old steppings.

You do not have to wait if you want a whole new system now, but like mentioned above it might worth to wait just a little longer. Lots of new stuff will come out soon.

9800Pro does not cost $330 any more. It's more like only $200. Athlon 3200+ does not only have 256kB cache over a 3000+. 3000+ has 512kB Level 2 cache, and 3200+ has 1MB Level 2 cache, that is 512KB more cache. For hard disk, I suggest Raptor if SCSI is not an option for you. Raptor is the fastest hard disk besides the all powerful SCSI drives. You can get 2 Raptors for raid 0.

Back