• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP please. Can't re-activate XP online or by phone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mahmgb

Registered
From all I've read about activating Windows XP, you should not be required to re-activate until 3 devices change. Nonetheless, my LEGITIMATE copy of WinXP wants me to re-activate after replacing only my DVD-ROM. When I click yes to re-activate online nothing happens. I don't even get a blank screen. Then I tried calling MS. But, I can't even get the Windows Product Activation Wizard to open so I can activate over the phone.

Microsoft suggested that I re-install XP and try to re-activate, otherwise they can't fix my problem. They had me try a few different techniques, but still the WPA Wizard refuses to run. If I re-install, it will take me weeks to get my system back to what it is now with all of the customization, tweaks, and disabling of certain features. This is so frustrating and I only have 2 days left to figure out why I can't re-activate.

Please help if you've run into this problem before. I appreciate it. Thanks.

try re-installing IE.

I know this seems silly, but it fixes many windows problems, and could do this one too.

Thanks for the reply, but I saw it too late. MS also suggested that I boot from the XP CD and repair Windows. Well I figured this would just replace certain system files with originals (with no risk of losing personal files and data) but I was wrong. After the repair failed in the same spot during the install on 3 separate tries, I decided to back everything up and re-install XP. Windows was no longer accessible after the repair so I went into my folders through a command prompt. But, almost everything was deleted. There wasn't even one file left for me to backup.

Anyway, I re-formatted the hard drive and re-installed XP. I was able to re-activate without any problems whatsoever. Now I have to spend the next few days getting Windows back to the way it was and then I can focus on what data and files were lost.

Thanks again for the help. :)

I don't have your answer, but i feel you on this one! Everytime i format my system (3-6 months) i have to reactivate by phone. I mean ffs why?!? Sure it only takes me 5-10 minutes, but isn't this a little overkill. It's a legit copy, it's NEVER been on another computer... End rant.

Heck...it'll make you want to download the pirated copies..just to avoid the hassle of activation! What was M$ thinking...(oops...how did the dollar sign get in there...)

davidw2005 said:
Heck...it'll make you want to download the pirated copies..just to avoid the hassle of activation! What was M$ thinking...(oops...how did the dollar sign get in there...)

That's a damn good question. I guess Bill Gates just isn't satisfied with 194956746 billion dollars and has to hassle all of us honest OS system users because I few piraters don't want to pay for his OS, ******* guy.

If ONLY the linux community would make more of a fuss about porting games over. It seems that online gaming is reinforcing MS's monopoly because not a single one will be ported for Linux aside from maybe HL2 and anything from iD.

"hassle all of us honest OS system users because I few piraters don't want to pay for his OS"

How dare you call me honest! ;) But seriously...it's the dumbest idea ever by MS. In fact, that's probably why so many Win2000 users stuck with that instead. They have their stability, and no product activation.

Although, in reality, I suppose most "non-geeks" aren't hurt by the activation. Considering...when you order a PC...most usually have it activated. And how many users format their PC's or do massive upgrades at once? How many know what the word format means?

Are you dissing us used gum chewers? It's very tasty... :) Sounds like something Mr. Gates would say...after all.. Only Nice mIcrosoft. It's even in your name!

That linux is free, and so is gum under chairs comment... I've seen that posted somewhere else too.... heh

</pointless comment>

I use Linux for a firewall only because it is painless to set up, painless to configure, and painless to use. Once the end-user linux is not more painful than Windows on all aspects (I'm speaking hardware, software availability, configuration, and alike), then it would be a killer OS.

Unfortunately, dealing with Windows is bearable pain, compared to the alternative, for now...

I would switch to Linux in a second if several things would change, which are listed below. If after reading it(specifically the last few numbers) think that there is a Linux version matching what I want...PLEASE recommend it to be. I've downloading so many that were just wastes of my disks. Even Lindows I found annoying...but if I can do some of the things listed below, I might re-check it out. I'd appreciate the help!

1. There needs to be maximum game support. Meaning...any game designed for Windows should run just the same on Linux. Not creating Linux games...just somehow making Linux with compatible code.

2. It needs to be "user friendly". Or...at least one version of Linux needs to be that way. I have downloaded Lindows(and have it free since they were giving it away free for a while)...and honestly, even with the software, which costs money, I still found it very stupid to use. It just wasn't familar when it came to change settings and such.

3. It needs to have equally good software. Of, if not, at least allow us to run MS software on it. This sort of goes with #1 above...make compatible code. If there was a MS office software twin in the Linux world...I may switch or at least dual boot. Openoffice is decent for free, but I don't feel it's any MS Office. Why then complain? Because I have many computing classes...and we learn on Office XP Pro. I need all the same commands and functions to be in exactly the same position.

4. Make the interface nice looking, and familar. Why have the weird taskbar that I find...just weird. Can we either have a apple macintosh look-alike with the toolbar, or a XP taskbar at the bottom that looks the same. I like my icons and running programs all there.

5. I need a decent built in firewall that is easily configurable. That way, I don't need to run a stand-alone firewall. On top of that, there needs to be a antivirus software program I can download.

6. And of course, on top of all this, I expect it all free :)

davidw2005 said:

1. There needs to be maximum game support. Meaning...any game designed for Windows should run just the same on Linux. Not creating Linux games...just somehow making Linux with compatible code.

2. It needs to be "user friendly". Or...at least one version of Linux needs to be that way. I have downloaded Lindows(and have it free since they were giving it away free for a while)...and honestly, even with the software, which costs money, I still found it very stupid to use. It just wasn't familar when it came to change settings and such.

3. It needs to have equally good software. Of, if not, at least allow us to run MS software on it. This sort of goes with #1 above...make compatible code. If there was a MS office software twin in the Linux world...I may switch or at least dual boot. Openoffice is decent for free, but I don't feel it's any MS Office. Why then complain? Because I have many computing classes...and we learn on Office XP Pro. I need all the same commands and functions to be in exactly the same position.

4. Make the interface nice looking, and familar. Why have the weird taskbar that I find...just weird. Can we either have a apple macintosh look-alike with the toolbar, or a XP taskbar at the bottom that looks the same. I like my icons and running programs all there.

5. I need a decent built in firewall that is easily configurable. That way, I don't need to run a stand-alone firewall. On top of that, there needs to be a antivirus software program I can download.

6. And of course, on top of all this, I expect it all free :)

I learned a few things when I tinkered with Linux...

# 4 and # 2 :: First off, the interface can be made nicer but it isn't easy to do so. If you want Windows interface, you got it here...

http://www.xpde.com/

# 5 and # 2 :: Linux has a firewall built in (at least on most distros), however it isn't easy to configure. A lot of programs work in the background and don't have a visual front end for configuring them. That I found frustrating. However, Linux has a very good firewall.

Antivirus for Linux DOES exist, I have seen it before, but it is hard to find.

# 1 :: Gaming support is limited. Some programs, like Dosbox and WINE, provide dos and windows functionality, but the programs have a tough time with linux, and getting them to work is hard. Some games, like UT2004, support Linux natively.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
http://www.winehq.com/

# 3 :: This is very hard to do. There may be alternatives, and the only one I can think of is AbiWord. It is a light yet pretty good clone of Microsoft Word.

http://www.abisource.com/

# 6 :: They all are free, enough said. :)

Anyways, one problem I have with Linux... setting it up, getting it to work, and then actually installing and running software that I want. Good software is REALLY hard to find for that platform and most people do not want to help me out in Linux (because I am a newbie in that area... :rolleyes:) There is some nice things to Linux and some awesome aspects of it, but it isn't easy to use, and it does lack a lot of the finer things.

However, perhaps some of the links I have provided show that Linux is not completely bleak, and there may be a day when I can call Linux my home OS.

Hope this post helps!

Sucka said:
I don't have your answer, but i feel you on this one! Everytime i format my system (3-6 months) i have to reactivate by phone. I mean ffs why?!? Sure it only takes me 5-10 minutes, but isn't this a little overkill. It's a legit copy, it's NEVER been on another computer... End rant.

hehe. this is why my legit store bought copy of WinXP Pro is still in it's shrink wrapped box, stuffed in the closet somewhere, while the copy i downloaded and burned ages ago is the actual one i use to install on my system. sure, i'm using a downloaded 'warez'd' copy, probably with a non-legit serial #, but i do own a legit copy of XP for my system, with its very own legit serial number. honestly! i just refuse to deal with M$'s activation crap :D

Back