• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

!!Post Your AMD CPU Close Calls!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChiefScout

well I read 340Duster's thread on his cpu close call, posted one of my own....then got to thinkin it'd be pretty sweet to start a thread of AMD cpu close calls from all you peoples. Haha there's probably already one, but lets refresh everyone's memories and get some ppl thinkin on the right track ;)

Setting up the family computer, with stock cooling. It's a Tbred B 2400+ (a nice overclocker but they won't let me loose, wise of them :) ). Got the heatsink/fan on, put the board in the box, hooked everything up.

Switched the system on and suddenly heard a high-pitched screetching from the CPU socket area. Being the antsy person that I was I killed power at the back panel quickly, took out the AMD stock fan and did some adjusting.

It turns out that (somehow) something from the CPU carton had got into the fan, gotten stuck, and prevented the fan from running up.

Aforementioned Tbred B survived the passive cooling test with flying colors and is happily folding away.

I've also fried a Thunderbird. It, too, was folding away, and suddenly the substandard ex-Compaq heatsink fell off (i was running on a tight budget at the time, waste not want not) and the CPU core went critical before I could shut her off. I had to shoot some Halotron on it. :(

Moral? Always use Socket 462 heatsinks with either screw holes or three-prong clips.

This isn't a close call but here goes. Back in the xp1700+ JIUHB craze I picked one up and was ready to install it until the pads on my slk-800 eroded from too many thermal paste cleanings with iso. So I emailed thermalright and they said they would send me out some new pads. Fast forward a week and they arrive, but upon inspection they are made of rubber and a mm or so taller than the previous ones. Impatiently I throw in the 1700+ and place the new pads in place. I had more trouble attaching the clip than usual but shrugged it off. I boot the computer and it instantly shuts down (later it's known that the asus cpu protection actually did save the cpu that time), I think to myself hmm this is wierd but again impatiently I boot it up again and it goes into the post but then poof, some smoke and a very distinct smell come pouring out. As it turns out the pads thermalright sent to me were actually for dampening the vibes between the hs and fan and were too large, preventing the hs from coming into proper contact with the cpu. It rests in peace now but I've learned to less excited and more patient when installing my parts. Also let it be known that the cpu overheat protection on the a7v333 actually works!

mine was i put my heatsink like a hair of and i mean a hair and started my computer and it was weird, runing very slow, it rebooted 3 time ent in to the bio's and it was runing 70'c and going up fast i hit the power buttom on my power supply faster tahn ever, reset it and it booted back fine

I started my friend's 1700+ palomino at 1.85V and 1.95GHz on the first bootup because I forgot that I'd been running a thoroughbred on that board at 2.2. It was in the high 40's by the time I got into bios and this is with a Volcano 10+. I was impressed, but my paranoid friend was dismayed...

My own close calls... I cut through the first layer of PCB on my 1600+ with an exacto... did no damage,

I started the 1600+ up with the heatsink stuck on the socket... hit 74C by the post...

I half dropped my computer about a foot off my desk with an SLk800 threatening to rip a gaping hole in the Mobo...

I tried to mount my waterblock upside down and found idle temps in the mid 40's...

And I've started the computer up a couple times without the pump plugged in...

I guess I'm lucky I've never fried anything... I've used 3 different boards in this computer and 5 different CPU's (1600->1700->2500M->1800->2400M) in the last 2 years...

If I build someone a comp I usually push the CPU a bit and if it shows promise it spends a little time on the WC setup...

i was hold my athlon 1200 when a really big static discharge went off when i touched the case it was a strong shock and then i rushed to put in to see if it still worked and then i chipped the core putting it in so it was a dubble oh crap i put it in and it worked just fine got lucky twice but wasnt lucky with a duron 1100 but i guess the athlon was better

Back